[Solved] OpenOffice Calc freezes when using copy

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
orionstar

[Solved] OpenOffice Calc freezes when using copy

Post by orionstar »

Win 11 Home 22H2 will only let you uninstall certain updates and KBB5019980 is not one of them since it is probably a base for other Windows updates on top of oit. Tried the Repair installation of OO 4.1.13 . No effect. Tried resetting my OO user profile. No effect.
Previously tried turning off Autocorrect/Autocomplete suggested elsewhere. No effect.
In Task Manager, the OO process zooms to >50% CPU utilization when trying to copy, suggestive of a loop problem.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.x on Windows 7 and 11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Calc freezes and becomes unusable when using copy

Post by John_Ha »

cwamil wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:35 am ... I use copy function in OpenOffice 4.1.13 Calc, the entire program freezes and becomes unusable and crashes
Often caused by a heavily edited and hence "tangled" file - eg see Calc crashes on copy/paste.

Try copying the content of the spreadsheet to a new, empty file. Does the new file work OK?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
creativenikki

Post by creativenikki »

John_Ha wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:57 am
cwamil wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:35 am ... I use copy function in OpenOffice 4.1.13 Calc, the entire program freezes and becomes unusable and crashes
Often caused by a heavily edited and hence "tangled" file - eg see Calc crashes on copy/paste.

Try copying the content of the spreadsheet to a new, empty file. Does the new file work OK?
The problem is that you cannot copy or paste at all. There's no way I can copy anything into a new document. I can't copy a single cell.
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

creativenikki wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:19 pm The problem is that you cannot copy or paste at all. There's no way I can copy anything into a new document. I can't copy a single cell.
I assume other files are OK but it is just one file which causes the problem.

Create a new, empty spreadsheet. Go Insert > Sheet from file ..., and pull in the problem file. Is the new file OK?

If not, please upload the file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Click Full Editor and Preview. Click the Upload attachment tab below where you type for files up to 128 kB max; or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
creativenikki

Post by creativenikki »

John_Ha wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:01 pm
creativenikki wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:19 pm The problem is that you cannot copy or paste at all. There's no way I can copy anything into a new document. I can't copy a single cell.
I assume other files are OK but it is just one file which causes the problem.

Create a new, empty spreadsheet. Go Insert > Sheet from file ..., and pull in the problem file. Is the new file OK?

If not, please upload the file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Click Full Editor and Preview. Click the Upload attachment tab below where you type for files up to 128 kB max; or use a file share site such as mediafire, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
That worked. I had no idea you could import sheets like that. Thank you.
Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

creativenikki wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:48 pm That worked. I had no idea you could import sheets like that. Thank you.
If you still have the old file is not confidential I would appreciate examining it to work out why this happens. I have sent you a Private Message with my email ID.

knightgambit

Post by knightgambit »

I have been having the same issue and ran into a potential solution and/or something for the OpenOffice developers to look into.

If I use OpenOffice, then select the Spreadsheet, then Open - very consistently, I can't copy/paste.

If I assign the .ods file to use OpenCalc, then double-click on the file - I haven't had the copy/paste issue.

Coincidence, possibly - but seems to me that there could be a memory leak or conflict when going through the main OpenOffice app.
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Doe it happen with just one file? Or with any file?

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

In a separate communication RoryOF pointed out that Windows 11 has an enhanced Clipboard Manager which replaces the old Clipboard. See https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-cl ... indows-11/

It is well known that clipboard managers can affect AOO badly. It seems that AOO doesn't like anything touching the clipboard (ie interrogating the clipboard status). It is also known that the AOO clipboard code is rather flaky.

There has been a spate of recent posts about copy/paste causing Calc to freeze, hang or crash making it possible it is the new W11 clipboard causing it.

As a test, go to the W11 Clipboard settings and disable History (and everything else) and see if that fixes the crash/hang/freeze.

orionstar

Post by orionstar »

I already had the History off in Win11 Clipboard and I don't share it across devices, so that wasn't it.
> As a test, go to the W11 Clipboard settings and disable History (and everything else) and see if that fixes the crash/hang/freeze.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It seems there is a similar problem in LO which is fixed by switching off the Clipboard Manager Suggested Actions. See Calc Freezes on Copy. Nov 22 Solution/Recommendations make no difference which says
Went to System > Clipboard (didn’t know I had one in windows) and Clipboard history was turned off.

Suggested Actions was turned on so I turned it off and everything worked fine. Turned it back on and it locked up again. Turned it off again and everything works fine so you were right, it was in the Windows clipboard software.

Thank you, and I am considering this Solved.
If this does fix it then it will be interesting to identify if it is Windows 11 doing something it shouldn't do; or whether there is something in AOO and LO (which both forked from OpenOffice.org) causing the problem.

A thought: Does Writer or Impress have the problem too or is it just Calc?

An interesting test while you still have the problem would be to try the macro in Clearing the Clipboard which clears the clipboard. Do the following test

1. Install the macro
2. Start Calc
3. Run the macro to clear the clipboard
4. Do a copy paste.

Does Calc hang/crash? If Calc does not hang/crash

5. Do another copy/paste.

Does Calc hang/crash this time? (ie a copy/paste without the clipboard being cleared.

If running the macro does fix the problem then the macro can be set up so it runs automatically each time Calc is started.

orionstar

Post by orionstar »

Wow, turning off Suggested Actions restored normal operation of the copy/cut for my AOO Calc👍! No need to clear the clipboard.

> Suggested Actions was turned on so I turned it off and everything worked fine. Turned it back on and it locked up again. Turned it off again and everything works fine so you were right, it was in the Windows clipboard software.
rshonfield

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice Calc freezes and becomes unusable when using copy

Post by rshonfield »

I can confirm that simply turning off Suggested Actions in the Windows 11 Clipboard Settings solved the problems. I had continued use Open Office Calc for the last two months using only single cell copy/paste. Once Suggested Actions was turned off, I can now copy and paste multiple cells. I was having this problem with new spreadsheets as well as spreadsheets with many many updates so I don't think it made any difference if the spreadsheets were "tangled" as discussed above. Thank you onionstar for pursuing this problem to a final conclusion.
Using OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 11
mypersnickety

Post by mypersnickety »

I have Windows 11. I did everything but what finally worked was clearing the history of my clipboard.
Thank you everyone for your tips.
Karla Signs
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 11
Noici

Post by Noici »

orionstar wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:38 am Wow, turning off Suggested Actions restored normal operation of the copy/cut for my AOO Calc👍! No need to clear the clipboard.
bitlife
> Suggested Actions was turned on so I turned it off and everything worked fine. Turned it back on and it locked up again. Turned it off again and everything works fine so you were right, it was in the Windows clipboard software.
Where is this Suggested Actions setting? :roll: It is not in the Clipboard settings.
Windows 11 and OpenOffice 4.1.13
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

As that is a Windows feature, you should probably be asking in a Windows forum. A quick web search for suggested actions windows clipboard found this MicroSloth support page.

Especially, see the NOTE following the first paragraph.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
orionstar

Post by orionstar »

Nolci- In Win11: Windows key, Settings gear, System, Clipboard, Suggested Actions, Off
Noici wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 am Where is this Suggested Actions setting? :roll: It is not in the Clipboard settings.
orionstar wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:38 am Wow, turning off Suggested Actions restored normal operation of the copy/cut for my AOO Calc👍! No need to clear the clipboard.
bitlife
Noici

Post by Noici »

Sorry for asking this question here as it's related to windows features.
But as you guys explained: Settings >> System >> Clipboard. I got there and there are only 3 options: Clipboard History, Sync Across Devices, and Clear Clipboard Data.
Suggested Actions option is not available here.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If Suggested Actions isn't a feature of Windows in your region, then it won't be the cause of the problem. Try the other suggestions listed above if you have problems with copy/paste.
For those who may not have looked at the note on the MicroSloth support page I linked, the note is:
Note: The suggested actions feature is currently only available in North America.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
Noici

Post by Noici »

robleyd wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:11 am
For those who may not have looked at the note on the MicroSloth support page I linked, the note is:
Note: The suggested actions feature is currently only available in North America.
I'm so fkin dumb to miss this even after you mentioned it :crazy: Truly sorry for causing you trouble.
LucaJones
Banned

Post by LucaJones »

Assigning .ods files to use opencalc directly instead of going through the main openoffice app seems to resolve the copy/paste issue for some users.
Sometimes it occurs due to memory leak or conflict within the main app.
OpenOffice Version: 4.1.10FM WhatsApp
Operating System: Windows 10
rohanbarb

Post by rohanbarb »

LucaJones wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:12 pm Assigning .ods files to use opencalc directly instead of going through the main openoffice app seems to resolve the copy/paste issue for some users.
Sometimes it occurs due to memory leak or conflict within the main app..
Yeah man, it worked for me pretty well.
captaincringe

Post by captaincringe »

I tried resetting my OO user profile and it solved for the first time but unfortunately, I couldn't repair the other installation..
NeoOffice 2.2.3
lakejake

Post by lakejake »

Also worked for me Windows 11 v 23h2
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
jimboylan

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice Calc freezes when using copy

Post by jimboylan »

Thank you, "In Win11: Windows key, Settings gear, System, Clipboard, Suggested Actions, Off" worked for me in Windows 11, Open Office 4.1.15.
jimboylan
Open Office 4.1.15 on Windows 11