Mail merge prints extra blank pages

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
W8SRD

Mail merge prints extra blank pages

Post by W8SRD »

OO Write v 4.1.10 using mail merge. Running on Ubuntu 20.04
Printing mail merge of 105 contacts to single document for review, shows no hidden blank pages, looks good. When printing it prints a blank page after every copy of merged document. After a while it calls it quits in the middle of a page and shows it has completed. It has not, many more to go. A closer look at the merge file shows each document, which are one pagers, takes up 2 pages. the second is not visible. I have tried EVERY thing suggested in the previous posts with no change. This is crazy. envelopes will not print because of it either. They just fly all over with varying data like return address on separate envelope from addressee. If I print one envelope manually it is ok.
open office 4.1.10 on ubuntu 20.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Mail merge prints extra blank pages

Post by Zizi64 »

Tips:
  • The size of the content to print is larger then the area of the paper. Even if it has only an empty paragraph at the end.
  • Maybe the Writer document has such page style what requires a blank page at end - when you print more than one copies ("Left-Right", "Mirrored" Page style or other)
  • Try the LibreOffice
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
pawantanwar
Banned

Post by pawantanwar »

Follow these steps:

Verify the formatting of the merge file: It is important to check for hidden or extra page breaks, section breaks or formatting elements which could lead to additional blank pages in your merge file.

Review Print Settings in OO Write: Before printing any documents with multiple copies or page breaks enabled, double check that their printing settings have been configured properly in OO Write. Be mindful of options like page breaks or margins as well as multiple copy printing.

Update OO Write: Be sure to install any updates available for OO Write as they could contain bug fixes or improvements for printing and mail merge features.

Test with another document: To quickly and reliably isolate the issue, create a simple test document containing only contacts to perform mail merge on and see if there are any complications - this will help identify whether your issue lies within its original document itself, or is more general to mail merge itself.

If none of these steps resolves your issue, consider reaching out to the OpenOffice community for support.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 | Windows 10
Best regards,
pawantanwar
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

W8SRD wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:25 am OO Write v 4.1.10 using mail merge. Running on Ubuntu 20.04
Printing mail merge of 105 contacts to single document for review, shows no hidden blank pages, looks good. When printing it prints a blank page after every copy of merged document. After a while it calls it quits in the middle of a page and shows it has completed. It has not, many more to go. A closer look at the merge file shows each document, which are one pagers, takes up 2 pages. the second is not visible. I have tried EVERY thing suggested in the previous posts with no change. This is crazy. envelopes will not print because of it either. They just fly all over with varying data like return address on separate envelope from addressee. If I print one envelope manually it is ok.
Go to Tools--->Options--->Openoffice Writer---->Print and uncheck the box under Other that says "Print Automatically Inserted blank pages"
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
NevP

Post by NevP »

This isn't marked solved so this may help. The turn off sugg by thomasjk has worked for me in the past but mt LO 7.3 still prints them regardless of the check box.
I find that at printing i can print odd pages only eliminates the blank pages.
I have also exported into PDF and that removes them. This has been usefull in printing multiple pages on one sheet.
Cheers
Libreoffice 7.3 on windows 11