[Solved] My OpenOffice disappeared

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Misty Miller

[Solved] My OpenOffice disappeared

Post by Misty Miller »

Hi! I've been using Open Office for 2 years on my laptop. When I went to open it the other day, I got a screen
"Welcome To Open Office Wizard. Click to register". I'm afraid if I do that, all my files saved will disappear ?
Is there a way to get back into to our original Open Office?
Easy answers please, not very technical. Th.ank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice version 4.1.9 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: My Open Office disappeared

Post by RoryOF »

Your OpenOffice User Profile has been deleted or damaged, perhaps because of a computer crash or over-hasty power off of the computer. Registering is merely telling OpenOffice who you are, so it can identify you and your files, rather than any other User of that computer.

The new Profile will not know the names of the previous files you have edited, but they will remain on the computer in the folder in which they were originally saved. When you start OpenOffice from the Programs button and use the navigation links on /File /Open to point to the folder containing your files, as you open each one it will once again appear on /File /Recent Documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Misty Miller

Post by Misty Miller »

Thank you...it worked!
OpenOffice version 4.1.9 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To prevent this happening again, or worse, a file being damaged, close your file, then close OpenOffice and wait a few seconds before closing laptop lid or pulling computer power plug. A few seconds are all that are needed - the time you take to collect your papers and pens, or put them away in your bag.

If there is a computer crash, odd things, including this, can happen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS