[Solved] Line break within a cell

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
jucala

[Solved] Line break within a cell

Post by jucala »

Edit: Split from Line break within a cell because that topic is for Windows. Please do not post in another's topic unless you are helping to solve their problem for them. 
I don't get the line break done in Mac (10.15.7)
If I press cmd + enter, I just jump to the next cell.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
MacOS 10.15.7 (see topic 107345 -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator)
Appache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Line break within a cell

Post by Zizi64 »

I don't get the line break done in Mac (10.15.7)
And which version of the LibreOffice or OpenOffice?
If I press cmd + enter, I just jump to the next cell.
Try other key combinations.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Re: Line break within a cell

Post by MrProgrammer »

jucala wrote:If I press cmd + enter, I just jump to the next cell.
To create a line break in a cell's text data, you must edit the content by double-clicking the cell or by selecting the cell and pressing F2. Now position the cursor at the desired point in the cell (not in the formula bar), hold the ⌘ key, then press Enter. Release the ⌘ key. Press Enter a second time to complete the cell edit. I have verified that these steps work on my Mac. People using Linux or Windows would use the same method but press Ctrl+Enter instead of ⌘Enter.

Q10: How do I use function keys (F1, F2, …, F12) on a Mac?
Changing part of the data in a cell

If the cell's value is not text data, but the result of a formula, the formula must include the line break in its value, for example ="Foo"&CHAR(10)&"Bar", where CHAR(10) is the LineFeed/Newline character.
Newline.png
Newline.png (26.91 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
It is not possible to type a line break in a formula because:
• While typing a formula in a cell, ⌘Enter will be converted to a space when you complete the formula with Enter or Tab.
• While typing a formula in the formula bar, ⌘Enter ends the formula entry and so does not add a line break
• While typing a formula in the formula bar, if you paste a LineFeed/Newline it is converted to a space.

If you need any additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). Explain which cell in which sheet you are asking about. Tell us in detail the steps you have tried to create the line break.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).