[Solved] OpenOffice for Chromebook

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
Werdahekrwe

[Solved] OpenOffice for Chromebook

Post by Werdahekrwe »

A friend just bout his daughter a new Chromebook. Of course it has no productivity package. I was telling him about AOO 4.1.1 and he asked if it is available for the "Book". Told him I would check. I have it on my HP 15 with 8.1, and LOVE it. No more fighting with Microsoft only to be told they will help for $47.99. NOT. Please advise. :D
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.1 installed on Win 8.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Open Office for Chromebook

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Werdahekrwe wrote:A friend just bout his daughter a new Chromebook. Of course it has no productivity package.
It has no productivity package because this machine only runs one application: the web browser that came with it. You can't install any software on that machine. It's useless without an internet connection because then the single application it has won't work. But you can use Google Docs in the browser to create text documents, spreadsheets, slides, and forms. It appears to me that Google Docs supports Open Document Format (ODF) so that it can interchange (read and write) files with Open Office. Disclaimer: I do not have a Cromebook, but have read about it.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Re: OPen Office for Chromebook

Post by RoryOF »

I understand that on some Chromebooks it may be possible to install a version of linux and a matching Open-/Libre-Office, but this is in place of its existing operating system. Some details at
http://ubuntuforums.org/ and possibly on other linux distro sites
use its Search box to look for Chromebook.

I do not think this is an option for the fainthearted!
 Edit: https://www.rollapp.com/apps distribute a version of OpenOffice for (unmodified) Chromebook, I don't know what it costs or how reliable it is. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Debaia

Re: OpenOffice for Chromebook

Post by Debaia »

Yes you can use open office on chrome is
Using apk version for Android
OpenOffice 4.7 on Windows 10