[Solved] OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Hagar Delest

[Solved] OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management

Post by Hagar Delest »

Continuation of that thread: [Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files.
Caracalla wrote:you could look in this folder "OOo-dev 3\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\14E.tmp_\dict-en.oxt " That's where all the dictionary files for the EN dictionary seem to have gone.
Could someone tell where you've found the English dictionary extension? I thought it should be very easy to find it and... no way! Have gone to the extensions page and doesn't seem to have any English file :shock:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

[Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files

Post by RGB »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Have gone to the extensions page and doesn't seem to have any English file :shock:
Nor Spanish, nor Italian, nor...
The French are very lucky... :lol: ;)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
wastefulness

Re: [Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files

Post by wastefulness »

If you're looking for the dict-en.oxt file there is one in OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install. But there again, that's probably NOT what you're looking for. :D
OOo-dev; Win XP; Firefox, Thunderbird
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

wastefulness wrote:If you're looking for the dict-en.oxt file there is one in OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install.
Nothing in my install (Beta 1) under xubuntu Hardy!
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
wastefulness wrote:If you're looking for the dict-en.oxt file there is one in OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install.
Nothing in my install (Beta 1)!
There wouldn't be no. AFAIK the whole dictionaries as extensions thing was not properly integrated into OOo until Beta 2.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OK, thanks, there are indeed some dictionaries with the Beta 2 (just installed on my xubuntu box): English, Spanish and French (only spell check for French).
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

I ran into this thread as part of my search (pre-posting homework). Even though this thread is marked solved, I am choosing to post here because my problem is reflected here -- but not the answer (at least not one I can understand).

I am using OOo 3 Beta 2 on W2K and here is my problem:

Writer options show English (USA) dictionary; however, essentially everything I write (other than numbers) is questioned (adorned with red wavy lines). Gives me the impression that the dictionary is empty.

I didn't have this problem in OOo 3 Beta 1. I tried to follow this thread as best as I could and can relate to many of the comments: there is no English dictionary in the extensions link provided; however in the post prior to mine, Hagar de l'Est states he was able to install it (albeit in Ubuntu). Tragically, I am still enslaved by M$. Although an earlier post by Hagar de l'Est states an English version is not available (I am assuming that was for Windows).

How do I get the English (USA) dictionary and install it in OOo 3 Beta 2? On my hard drive, I have OOo folders dating back to at least OOo 2.0 (if copying/pasting is easier). All help will be greatly appreciated.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, you're the second one to report that. Don't know if there is a difference with Windows, I've only installed the Beta on my xubuntu box (I've edited may previous post to make that clear).

So first, the Beta 1 was not impacted because it had kept a duplicate of the /share/dict/ooo folder (with dics and the dictionary.lst file) in the /ooo-dev main folder, that is, in parallel with /ooo-dev3).

Second, make sure that you've the extension dict-en.oxt in /opt/ooo-dev3/share/extension/install. If you install that one, you should see the new extension in the /opt/ooo-dev3/share/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages folder or in the user profile (still in the extensions directory):
Click the pic to enlarge!
Click the pic to enlarge!
Check that there are dictionary files inside. If not, just copy them from the /share/dict/ooo folder into that one.

I don't see exactly how it works however. I tried to tweak the dictionaries.xcu file inside the extension and removed all the en-ZA tags to remove the English (South Africa) and still get that entry in the language list. I'd done the same with the French extension to prevent OOo to show the tick mark before the other French dics (Luxembourg, Canada, Belgium, ...) and it worked well. So the setting may be written somewhere else (the English extension was installed first by default so perhaps a remaining key has been kept somewhere for the English (South Africa) entry).
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Thank you for the guidance, Hagar.

I was able to locate the dict-en.oxt file in the /share/extension/install folder. Upon clicking on the file icon, a window pops up announcing,

"You are about to install the extension 'English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus.' Click 'OK' to proceed with the installation."

I clicked OK and another window pops up with the following message:

The extension cannot be installed as the following system dependencies are not fulfilled:
OpenOffice.org 3.0

The only available button on this particular window is an OK button. I am not sure what the message means.

I tried to install again after exiting from Quickstarter, but this did not help. I will continue playing around to see what can be done.

All suggestions are welcome.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

try installing by going via OOo 3's extension manager.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
please vote

crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

I forgot to mention this (for what its worth)...

I opened writer and went to Tools -> Extension Manager and there are two items listed there:

1. English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus version 20051213
2. Sun_ODF_Template_Pack_en-US.oxt (I remember downloading this -- before I had OOo 3 -- if I remember correctly).

Upon highlighting each of the above items, there are three buttons:

1. Options (this button is disabled (grayed out)) in both items.
2. Disable
3. Remove

Since I neither want to disable nor remove either of the extensions, the options are useless for me. There is also a lock icon (in the locked position) in both the extensions (it is a non-functional icon).

The Template Pack is available and running, so I don't understand why the dictionary is not. I am sharing as much information as I can to try and nail down the problem (or even better, the solution).
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Thank you, Caracalla. You beat me to the posting while I was drafting my post!

In addition to the above, I also clicked on the Add button at the bottom of the Extension Manager window and attempted to install the dictionary that way. The message I get is:

You are about to install version... That version is already installed. Click 'OK' to replace the installed extension.

I clicked OK to replace the installed extension; however, I still cannot get the dictionary to work.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you see the dictionaries files as shown in the screenshot above?
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Yes, I do; however, the path is:

Program Files -> OpenOffice.org 3 -> Share -> uno_packages -> cache -> 37C.tmp -> dict-en.oxt

Edit: The above is an error. The correct path is:
Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\37C.tmp\dict-en.oxt

I tried copying the dict-en.oxt folder directly to the uno_packages sub folder (bypassing the 37C.tmp folder). I also emptied the contents of the dict-en.oxt folder directly into the (second) uno_packages sub folder (without the cover of the folder), but neither of these moves helped.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

I also noted the the 2C.tmp folder contains the Spanish directory and the 2E.tmp folder contains the French directory and the English directory is placed in 37C.tmp. The 46.tmp folder contains the English template I had downloaded quite sometime ago.

I appreciate all the help.
Windows_folder.png
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Hagar Delest

Re: OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management

Post by Hagar Delest »

What file format have you used for the screenshot? PNG should be fine for upload.

Back to the issue. NB: I've split the thread to make it clearer (related to Beta 2 only).

I don't see the en_US files (.aff and .dic) in your folder. Have you checked the English (UK)? According to what I see, it should work. If so, copying the en_US files in that folder should work I think.

I've also see that Spanish and French files are also installed by default. But only the spell check file for French. A license issue. In fact, I've removed it to install the right extension (from the OOo web site).

This new extension management is not so comfortable: now I've to run OOo as root to remove the extensions so that a standard user can install them in their own profile. Before, I just had to edit the dictionary.lst file!
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:What file format have you used for the screenshot? PNG should be fine for upload.
I used Alt+PrintScreen to capture the image but the paste option was grayed out on the posting pad. I was easily able to paste the image in Writer. I don't know what PNG is.
Hagar de l'Est wrote:I don't see the en_US files (.aff and .dic) in your folder. Have you checked the English (UK)? According to what I see, it should work. If so, copying the en_US files in that folder should work I think.
English (USA) is checked. Where can I get the en_US files (.aff and .dic) from, and to which folder should I copy them?
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

To upload screenshots, you've to upload it as a file and then use the Place inline button (I've edited your post). It means that you've to paste it in a picture manager and then save it (.png is best for screenshots).

Take the old installation folder for 2.# and there should be some files in the /share/dict/ooo folder. Just copy the en_US files in the dict-en.oxt folder in the uno_packages tree.

NB: I can't understand why the English (USA) entry is checked since there is no dics files.
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

Thank you so much, Hagar! Your assistance and patience is greatly appreciated!

Copying the files did the trick. For the record, below are the steps I took (as recommended by Hagar) to correct the problem:

1. Copied 2 files (en_us and en_us.aff) from OOo 2.4 (OpenOffice.org 2.4\share\dict\ooo) to OOo 3.0 Beta 2 (OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\37C.tmp\dict-en.oxt).
2. Restarted the computer. Note: the dictionary did not take effect until I restarted the computer.
Hagar de l'Est wrote:NB: I can't understand why the English (USA) entry is checked since there is no dics files.
I had verified multiple times that English (USA) was checked.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

crusader wrote:I had verified multiple times that English (USA) was checked.
Yes, I know. Same for me and the English (South Africa) entry: it is checked but I've removed all the dictionary files. So where OOo looks at to say it's installed???
carandol

Post by carandol »

I'm having trouble with a complete lack of dictionaries in linux, as described here http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... f=5&t=8024. Everything was working fine in 3.0 beta 1, but my dictionaries seem to have disappeared entirely now that I've updated to beta 2. None of the above seems to help -- unless perhaps I install 2.4 and copy dictionaries over? Any guidance welcome! I've got used to working with notes open down the right hand side of the page and I don't want to have to go back to 2.4!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you confirm that you've the same structure as mine in the screenshot in first page of this thread?
carandol

Post by carandol »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Can you confirm that you've the same structure as mine in the screenshot in first page of this thread?
No it's not. Mine goes

/opt/openoffice.org3/share/uno_packages/cache

but then cache is empty. No wonder it's not working! I've tried reinstalling over the current installation, and that didn't fix it. Would perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling work? Or is the beta 2 deb package perhaps missing something important?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you see the dict-en.oxt file in OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install (see beginning of thread)? If so, install it (from the extension manager in OOO: Tools>Extension manager). Extension manager has been renamed Package manager in 3.0 but only in the Windows version it seems.

You should install the Beta from the OOo web site, same process as that one: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. Except that there is no integration desktop package (by design for the Beta).
carandol

Post by carandol »

Yay! Thanks, Hagar, that worked. Although it's called Package Manager, not Extension Manager on my OOo menu.
Caracalla
Volunteer

Dutch spell checking extension

Post by Caracalla »

Incidentally, here's something i cobbled together. Dutch spell-checking and hyphenation in an extension. I made it by starting out with the English extension and throwing out all the english .dic and .aff files. I then put in the Dutch ones, which i got here. All i had to do then was edit the description.xml file and the dictionaries.xcu file to change the references from the old files to the new ones. Easily done with Notepad++. After that i installed the extension, restarted the program, and it worked :)
Please let me know if there is some legal issue with me uploading this and i'll remove it.
Unfortunately the file is too big to upload here* so i've put it on Rapidshare, click here to get it.

*Another problem is that .oxt files are not allowed, should that not be changed?
Last edited by Caracalla on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
please vote

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Caracalla wrote:Another problem is that .oxt files are not allowed, should that not be changed?
They're allowed in the sections for macros. So they could be posted in the code snippet forum if smaller than 128KB.
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Caracalla wrote:Another problem is that .oxt files are not allowed, should that not be changed?
They're allowed in the sections for macros. So they could be posted in the code snippet forum if smaller than 128KB.
ah, ok, i guess that makes sense. Still wouldn't help in this case, it's 1,2MB.
please vote

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, I know but 1.2MB, that's something and in few weeks, the extensions should be available. What could be done is to remove the dictionary files (98% of the extension file I guess) and tell the user to add them manually from their current installation since the file names are the same (they would just have to find the right folders). Not sure the extension installation would be fine but as it works when there is no English files as seen in that thread, why not?
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:. Not sure the extension installation would be fine but as it works when there is no English files as seen in that thread, why not?
As long as the names of the .dic and .aff files match the names given in the .xcu file there should be no problem as far as i can see. In any case, rapidshare works just fine :)
Yes, I know but 1.2MB, that's something and in few weeks, the extensions should be available.
Oh, i know, i just took this course because a) i did not feel like waiting and b) i wanted to see how easy it would be to make an extension like this. Quite easy as it turns out :)
please vote