[Solved] How do I Move/ Drag a single cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Chadwick

[Solved] How do I Move/ Drag a single cell

Post by Chadwick »

I'm just switching over and I'm very pleased so far.. however I really got used to pointing to the edge of a single cell and dragging it where I wanted it in Excell. I'm making simple lists, no formulas or anything.

I can accomplish the same exact thing in open office calc but only on multiple cells and I want to be able to do it on single cells. But it only expands the selection area instead of dragging the cell.

help and thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acknak

Re: How do I Move/ Drag a single cell

Post by acknak »

Calc is much clumsier than Excel in this regard. You can only drag areas which are highlighted (black); you drag them by clicking and dragging the black area. The trick with a single cell is to get it selected: you have to click, drag out of the cell (now two cells turn black), then drag back into the first cell, and now you have a single black cell you can drag to another location. Remember to drag by clicking in the black area, not on the border like Excel.

You can also click on the cell, then Shift+click to select it (black), then drag it--but it's easier just to do it all with the mouse, since you're going to drag it anyway.
 Edit: Note: OOo version 3 or later uses a transparent blue highlighting, instead of the plain black, reverse video-style highlighting. 
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Chadwick

Re: How do I Move/ Drag a single cell

Post by Chadwick »

wow, that is awkward.. but it works so cool.. Thanks for the information!
Ripon Majumder

Re: [Solved] How do I Move/ Drag a single cell

Post by Ripon Majumder »

It is very useful for us in Bangladesh. I have translated it in Bengali and posted with link for help another on www.forum.linux.org.bd.
Open Office 3.2 & Windows XP
Know_How

Re: [Solved] How do I Move/ Drag a single cell

Post by Know_How »

Be aware that moving a cell using this method (or using cut & paste) will take all the formatting with it. It also changes the old original celll to Default Formatting. If you want to keep the formatting in the original cell, use copy & paste then go back to the original cell location and hit the delete key.
Open Office Version 4114 Windows 10