[Solved] Uninstall problem

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
egptech

[Solved] Uninstall problem

Post by egptech »

I have uninstalled open office and now, on startup of the computer, I receive this message;

(Windows cannot find 'C:\program files (x86)\OPENOFFICE.ORG 3\PROGRAM\QUICKSTART.EXE'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.)

I re-installed Open Office, selected do NOT run at start up, removed all references to Open office and Quick starter from all the start-up folders, re-booted, un-installed and I still get this message. Where is the secret location for the entry causing this error. I have searched this forum and Googled the problem w/o success.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 3.5 on win 7
RoryOF

Re: uninstall problem

Post by RoryOF »

A brute force method is to use the system searcher to search all files for those containing QUICKSTARTER.EXE. You may need to include hidden files and folders.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: uninstall problem

Post by thomasjk »

Did you uninstall from the Control Panel programs and features? Try CCleaner to remove any leftover registry entries. Use the slim build http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
egptech

Re: Uninstall problem

Post by egptech »

I searched for all instances of Quickstarter.exe and found only one in the LO folders. The problem is not that the file exists but that windows thinks it does and is trying to load it at start up, givin the message:
Windows cannot find 'C:PROGRAM FILES (X86)\QPENOFFICE.ORG 3\ROGRAM\QUICKSTART.EXE\
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I uninstalled with the built in un-installer and also with Revo. No help.
Open Office 3.5 on win 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When you searched, did you tell it to search for hidden and system files?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

egptech wrote:I searched for all instances of Quickstarter.exe and found only one in the LO folders. The problem is not that the file exists but that windows thinks it does and is trying to load it at start up, givin the message:
Windows cannot find 'C:PROGRAM FILES (X86)\QPENOFFICE.ORG 3\ROGRAM\QUICKSTART.EXE\
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I uninstalled with the built in un-installer and also with Revo. No help.
Windows is looking for the Quickstart for OpenOffice, but you indicate that you have Quickstart in the LO folders which would be for LibreOffice. Did you uninstall OpenOffice and install LibreOffice? Is the OpenOffice.org link still in Start > All Programs > Startup? That's the link that tells Windows to open the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter. It should have been removed when uninstalling OpenOffice. It won't be removed when uninstalling LibreOffice.
egptech

Post by egptech »

I searched for hidden and protected files. I don't believe I indicated that the OO quickstart is in the LO folder. The LO quickstart is in the LO folder. It is looking for the file in "Windows cannot find 'C:PROGRAM FILES (X86)\QPENOFFICE.ORG 3\ROGRAM\QUICKSTART.EXE\", not in the LO folder. I indicated that there is no quickstart in any of the several start up folders. I have also gone to msconfig > startup and it is not there either. There is one location in the registry that I have yet to try, but CCleaner should have caught that. I am afraid I will have to un-install LO and do a new, clean install and hope that works.
Open Office 3.5 on win 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

egptech wrote:I searched for hidden and protected files. I don't believe I indicated that the OO quickstart is in the LO folder. The LO quickstart is in the LO folder. It is looking for the file in "Windows cannot find 'C:PROGRAM FILES (X86)\QPENOFFICE.ORG 3\ROGRAM\QUICKSTART.EXE\", not in the LO folder. I indicated that there is no quickstart in any of the several start up folders. I have also gone to msconfig > startup and it is not there either. There is one location in the registry that I have yet to try, but CCleaner should have caught that. I am afraid I will have to un-install LO and do a new, clean install and hope that works.
You indicated that Quickstarter.exe was in the LO folders and I stated that it was for LibreOffice, not OOo. The problem is that Windows is looking for the OOo Quickstarter, not the LO Quickstarter. I have no idea why Windows is still be looking for the OOo Quickstarter if there's no link in the Startup folder. Have you tried Autoruns? On my system, Autoruns finds the path "C:\program files\openoffice.org 3\quickstart.exe" only in the OpenOffice.org 3.x.lnk in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
egptech

Post by egptech »

After four hours of wasted time, problem solved. OO hides an entry deep in the registry that tells windows to load OO. After three re-install - uninstall cycles without resolving the problem, I did a detailed search of the registry and found three entries that served to try and start OO. I deleted them all and problem solved. Not a very friendly behavior for an un-install program.
Open Office 3.5 on win 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Where were these entries in the registry? If someone else has the same problem, it would be nice to point them to this thread for the solution.
egptech

Post by egptech »

Open regedit and search for "quickstart". I did not write the locations down as I had already wasted too much time on this problem.
Open Office 3.5 on win 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Uninstall problem

Post by Bill »

I'd already done that search and found nothing. On my installations, the Quickstarter has always loaded from the Startup folder.

How to Manage Startup Programs in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7