Compare: Lotus /MSO 2007?

Talk about anything at all....
designparadise

Compare: Lotus /MSO 2007?

Post by designparadise »

==THIS IS THE SPECIFIC QUESTION ==

Has Lotus caught up with ms 2007? [UPDATED]

==
* we ONLY care about EXCEL and a bit of word; it is well-known that excel is vastly superior to openoffice, but 2007 is what is on the desktop and we're comparing, the lastest Lotus to ms 2007 (5yrs ago)

*we'll like to know if it's a yes or no to decide if we should install this thing

more edits: has this thing even been updated SIGNIFICANTLY? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_1-2-3
and discontinued??? -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Symphony

==backstory==
i was looking for laptops and noticed they don't always come with the latest ms office, and googling i ran into openoffice. 'oh this thing," i said to myself, "i wonder if the latest of this thing has ever caught up with the latest ms office" -- the answer the no

*experienced and knowledge ppl may support comments with CONCRETE EXAMPLES, and pls list in plain text bullet points to make it easy to read -- thx
Last edited by designparadise on Mon May 21, 2012 5:57 am, edited 21 times in total.
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Re: *** ~ Has OO caught up with MS OFFICE ~ ***

Post by Charlie Young »

designparadise wrote: it is well-known that excel is vastly superior to openoffice

support comments with primary evidence, and pls list in plain text bullet points to make it easy to read -- thx
Where is your primary evidence?

I still suspect a large percentage of spreadsheets could be done in Lotus 1-2-3 release 2.01 without losing that much.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

designparadise wrote:it is well-known that excel is vastly superior to openoffice
Excel is a spreadsheet application and OpenOffice is an Office Suite: clearly, you don't know what the hell you are talking about...

I will give you this: you are entitled to your opinion -- as devoid as it is of a speck of intelligence!
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Download and install it. Then try it and see. If you don't like it, uninstall.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I don't know about capabilities but OO is a lot easier to use than MSFT Office. I used it for 6 months at one location last year, the version may have been 2007.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Charlie's point is good, about much spreadsheet work not needing capabilities beyond Lotus 1-2-3 release 2.01. I was thinking similarly the other day that much of my book layout work could still be done using any simple text editor and Pagemaker 6/7.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Has OO caught up with MS Office?

Post by jrkrideau »

designparadise wrote:==backstory==
"i wonder if this thing has ever caught up with ms office" -- the answer the no
Well, for my uses it surpassed MS Office a few years ago. See Styles for one thing.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I could not use MSOffice for 9 years. Nobody ever complained about my documents (PDF, sometimes doc/xls)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

designparadise wrote: * we mainly care about excel and word; it is well-known that excel is vastly superior to openoffice
support comments with primary evidence, and pls list in plain text bullet points to make it easy to read -- thx
To me this seems like an unsubstantiated matter of opinion, without supporting evidence. Users have a vast range of needs, usages and abilities.
If excel does something you need that OOo does not then, for you, excel is better so use it.
If OOo does something you need that Excel does not then, for you, calc is better so use it.
If both calc and excel do something you need you have to decide if one does it in a way you prefer and use the one that comes out tops on more things than the other.
None of us make full use of whatever software we use (some barely know how to use it - yes I have seen many people use a calculator to put the totals in a spreadsheet) so use something you like, that does the job in hand, and be thankful you still have a choice! Don't assume that what suites you, suites everyone - I can assure you it won't.
For me, right now, it is LO that hits the spot. In the past it was OOo one day it may be Calligra or Joe Bloggs wizzo spreadsheet - That is what I like about FOSS in general there is choice, without lock-in.
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

designparadise wrote:"i wonder if this thing has ever caught up with ms office" -- the answer the no
M$ cherishes monomaniacal slaves like you.

Now, questions for you -- "support comments with primary evidence, and pls list in plain text bullet points to make it easy to read -- thx"
1. Who is forcing you to use OO?
2. Since you have answered your own question, what are you trying to achieve by contaminating this forum?
peterroots wrote:For me, right now, it is LO that hits the spot. In the past it was OOo...
+1
peterroots wrote:That is what I like about FOSS in general there is choice, without lock-in.
Amen!
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
designparadise

Post by designparadise »

HELLO PEOPLE THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION -- IS NOBODY EXPERIENCED OR KNOWLEDGEABLE HERE IN THE OPEN SOURCE COMMUNITY????

@it is LO that hits the spot
fine, when ms 2007 is compared to whatever the excel is in lotas, which is better??

@much spreadsheet work not needing capabilities beyond Lotus
see above

@Since you have answered your own question
"we're comparing, the lastest OO to ms 2007 (5yrs ago)" in case you weren't reading

as for "it is well-known that excel is vastly superior to openoffice," that is based on hard evidence, yet it seems like nobody here seems to know anything

im just going to check back one last time to see anyone has any concerate comparison for the excel in lotus compared to excel in ms 2007

useless comments:
@See Styles for one thing.
????? "we mainly care about excel and a bit of word"
@Download and install it. Then try it and see. If you don't like it, uninstall.
@"I don't know about capabilities..." "the version may have been 2007...."
@Excel is a spreadsheet application and OpenOffice is an Office Suite: clearly, you don't know what the hell you are talking about...
@I could not use MSOffice for 9 years.
@Amen!
didn't ask about religion, asked about QUALITY
Last edited by designparadise on Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
openoffice 3 on windows xp 1
designparadise

Re: *** ~ Compare: lotus /ms 2007? ~ *** [MAJOR UPDATE]

Post by designparadise »

looking -- http://spreadsheet-software.pikimal.com/vs/ibm-lotus-symphony/microsoft-excel

not even sure why i posted on a... forum..... forums................
openoffice 3 on windows xp 1
FJCC

Re: *** ~ Compare: lotus /ms 2007? ~ *** [MAJOR UPDATE]

Post by FJCC »

Don't feed trolls.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
designparadise

Re: *** ~ Compare: lotus /ms 2007? ~ *** [GREAT UPDATES]

Post by designparadise »

ah yes, i just ignore anything on the Web that isn't helpful though

anyway, this is pretty much cleared up.

Thanks people you are amazing! =)
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Compare: Lotus /MSO 2007? [GREAT UPDATES]

Post by floris v »

Frankly, you should ask questions about Lotus vs Excel on a Lotus forum, and if you want to get decent answers, don't start insulting the pet of the users of that forum, it's bad style.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum