[Solved] Setting Autovalue in Server Mode

Creating tables and queries
Nocton
Volunteer

[Solved] Setting Autovalue in Server Mode

Post by Nocton »

I have a database set up in server mode via DACM's QuickFix. I wanted to change an integer field to be an AutoValue. I know the table cannot be edited directly in server mode. So I copied the table to a blank, embedded database and made the change there. I then transferred the table back to the server mode database and found that AutoValue has been reset to 'No'! Further investigation shows that even when I create a completely new table in the server mode database, after I have saved it the AutoValue resets to 'No'. This is very frustrating.
Does anyone know why I am getting this behaviour and how I can solve the problem?

Regards, Nocton
Last edited by Nocton on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
Nocton
Volunteer

Re: Setting Autovalue in Server Mode

Post by Nocton »

I seem to have solved my problem by running a direct SQL command.

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE "Locations" ALTER COLUMN "LocNo" IDENTITY;
But I should be interested to know why that works, yet transferring a table in with AutoValue working/set to Yes fails.

Regards, Nocton
DACM
Volunteer

Re: Setting AutoValue keys in Server Mode

Post by DACM »

Yes, there are limitations to the Base GUI when using it as a front-end to an external database of any kind. Each Base connection-driver (JDBC, ODBC, dBase, MS Access, etc.) enjoys varying degrees of GUI support. This issue is among those common to JDBC and ODBC connections with Base. This is covered in this tutorial by the following link:
Related links (must reads) (in particular the linked post)
Base limitations as a database manager:
The Frozen 'Field Property' Workaround (adjusting Table structures with Base including AutoValue Primary Keys and Default values)
Alternative SQL database managers (free, cross-platform, cross-database, administration tools)
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
Nocton
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Setting Autovalue in Server Mode

Post by Nocton »

DACM, thank you for the explanation and the links.
Base has its quirks/limitations, but using your QuickFix/server-mode and help from this forum I have now created three databases which fulfil all the users' needs and are very stable. In fact the most complex database which is used by a club with about 200 members and 35 groups is accessed almost daily by two users, linked via DropBox as I have explained in another post, and has never crashed or lost any data.

Regards, Nocton