[Solved] Extremely Slow search for item in base table

Creating tables and queries
the_watchmann

[Solved] Extremely Slow search for item in base table

Post by the_watchmann »

Hi.
I seem to have a problem with Open Office Base and Libre Office Base in that a search through a database field takes an extremely long time. My current database size is 18mb and the largest table has 25000 + entries. It takes base the better part of an hour to sift through the table... my laptop is a core 2 duo 2.0gHz with 3GB Ram so the hardware shouldn't be an issue? (Of note, I previously had OpenSuse 11.3 on the laptop and using the original downloaded version of OpenOffice I did not have this problem, however, all the people around me have a slow response time using the distro version)
I have updated to the latest JRE and have uninstalled the distro versions and replaced these with original versions downloaded from the sites themselves. As I am managing the network for a small business I have 8 pc's/ laptops mostly running OpenSuse 11.3 and one with Linux Mint 9 (mine). All have the same problem. Extremely slow behaviour (with LibreOffice 3.4)
Is there a workaround for this?

Regards and Thanks in Advance

David
Last edited by the_watchmann on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 17.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Extremely Slow search for item in base table

Post by Villeroy »

The combination of Linux +Base +Java is defective.
Get Java 1.6.22 from http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/poo ... sun-java6/

There are 2 packages (don't know why):
sun-java6-bin_6.22-0ubuntu1~10.04_i386
sun-java6-jre_6.22-0ubuntu1~10.04_all

Both have a data.tar.gz

Both data.tar.gz have a directory /./usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/

I extracted one of the java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/ into my home
and merged the subfolders of the other java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/ into the same folder.

$ ls ~/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22
bin ext jre man (4 directories)

In the OOo Java options I add folder ~/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22/jre and restart the office.

This does not really install the old Java on your system. It simply copies the required files and points the office suite to this version of Java. All your other applications use the more recent and updating version of Java from your repositories.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
the_watchmann

Re: Extremely Slow search for item in base table

Post by the_watchmann »

Thanks a million. It worked brilliantly!!!
OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 17.2