[Solved] ver 2.4 installation problem: error 1714

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
davidm

[Solved] ver 2.4 installation problem: error 1714

Post by davidm »

I had ver 2.2 previous which I could not remove using MS removal tools. So I removed by hand. Now when I try to install 2.4, I get an error message telling me to look for the openofficeorg2.2 msi which is nowhere. The error message says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." When I cancel, I get error 1417 which says the older version of OpenOffice.org 2.4 cannot be removed.

BTW, I did try the install as only me the user; didn't help.

Help? -- David
Last edited by davidm on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: ver 2.4 installation problem: error 1417

Post by Hagar Delest »

Isn't it Error 1714 instead of 1417? See here: [Solved] I can't get an install of 2.3.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: moved your thread to the Windows forum.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If the old version still appears in Add/Remove Programs, use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove it then try to install OOo 2.4. If the old version is no longer in Add/Remove Programs, you may need to manually remove the upgrade code for OpenOffice.org 2 from the registry. It can easily be left behind when manually uninstalling. Search the registry for keys named "BA9B53C73EC281C4EBC7B579AE80E93B", export the keys just in case they need to be restored, then delete them and try to install OOo 2.4.

unable to remove partially installed v. 2.4

Error 1714. The older version of OpenOffice 2.3 cannot be removed.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Thank you. I could not figure out how to run msicuu but saw jd.johson's post Error 1714 that guided me through the regedit approach. I just installed successfully. Thanks! -- David
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

davidm wrote:Thank you. I could not figure out how to run msicuu but saw jd.johson's post Error 1714 that guided me through the regedit approach. I just installed successfully. Thanks! -- David
That post suggests exporting all the upgrade code keys, deleting them, installing OOo, then restoring the upgrade code keys. I don't know if restoring the keys will cause problems, but the key for OOo which is restored will not be valid since it will refer to the uninstalled version of OOo rather than the new version. If regedit is used to remove only the upgrade code key for OOo instead of all of the upgrade code keys, then installing OOo will install a valid upgrade code key and no keys will need to be restored.
jojo50

Post by jojo50 »

Bill wrote:
davidm wrote:Thank you. I could not figure out how to run msicuu but saw jd.johson's post Error 1714 that guided me through the regedit approach. I just installed successfully. Thanks! -- David
That post suggests exporting all the upgrade code keys, deleting them, installing OOo, then restoring the upgrade code keys. I don't know if restoring the keys will cause problems, but the key for OOo which is restored will not be valid since it will refer to the uninstalled version of OOo rather than the new version. If regedit is used to remove only the upgrade code key for OOo instead of all of the upgrade code keys, then installing OOo will install a valid upgrade code key and no keys will need to be restored.
Thanks Bill (years after this thread started!)

I successfully used your suggestion above in order to get past error 1714 when trying to update from 3.1 to 3.2 today. Using the free version of RegSeeker I found and deleted just the two upgradcodes keys named BA9B53C73EC281C4EBC7B579AE80E93B,which were in:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\upgradcodes
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Currentversion\Installer\upgradcodes

After that, I ran the update to 3.2 and didn't see the error 1714 popup. Wherefore, thanks again.

Joe
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP SP3