Need database help for food pantry

Discuss the database features
alisona5

Need database help for food pantry

Post by alisona5 »

I am very new to openoffice and databases. I am trying to create a database for our local food pantry. I have created a form for client registration. It is a very simple form that we will use to put in all of the client's information. I need to create a form for client check in and I am completely stuck. We need to be able to search for the client and record the date. The clients will come in every week or every other week. This check in form will also have to tell us the last time the client came. I don't know how to continually add dates of service for the same person. I hope I am making sense. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. I really appreciate any help!
Openoffice 3.3.0
Mac OS 10.5 and Windows XP
therabi
Volunteer

Re: need database help for food pantry

Post by therabi »

First suggestion is to get the documents at [1] and read thru to get a good background of database design. I think you will find what you need in there. If you have questions after that the come back and we can prove help fine tuning the database and forms.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
Visa

Re: Need database help for food pantry

Post by Visa »

You need to understand the database structure design. First of all find out

1. what areas[fields] you need to do the search on.
2. what type of output (on the screen or print on a printer) you need.

Try to resolve the above and then do the database design. Once you do a good structure. Then it is a matter of bringing the data to the screen.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows xp pro
DACM
Volunteer

[Example] Filtering with Base Forms (using SubForm links)

Post by DACM »

AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria