3d openGL transition effects?

Discuss the presentation application
luisjorge

3d openGL transition effects?

Post by luisjorge »

Hello! I've seen multiple times in different sites that there are new 3d opengl transition effects implemented in Impress 2.4, but I have the rc2 version installed and I can't find them. Does anyone know how to enable these?
I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 gutsy, with OpenOffice.org 2.4 RC2.

Thanks in advance!
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: 3d openGL transition effects?

Post by AndrewZ »

Three ways for Ubuntu

1. Download the special OpenOffice.org build from my original article
2. Install the package in Ubuntu's repo named something like openoffice.org-ogltrans
3. Wait until the extension is released.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
luisjorge

Post by luisjorge »

Hi! Thanks for the info!
I checked the Ubuntu repositories, and I couldn't find the "ogltrans" package, or anything similar near the openoffice.org packages.
Currently, I tried the first option, downloading the special build from your article, but it seems there are no peers or any sources from which to download the file, because it's stalled.
Anyway, I think I'll have to wait until someone seeding the file appears ;)

Thanks for the help!

Luis Jorge.
luisjorge

Post by luisjorge »

AndrewZ wrote:Three ways for Ubuntu

1. Download the special OpenOffice.org build from my original article
2. Install the package in Ubuntu's repo named something like openoffice.org-ogltrans
3. Wait until the extension is released.
Hi! I downloaded the build from your article, but I get these errors on md5sums:

Code: Select all

rpm -i --replacefiles --nodeps  '///home/luisjorge/Desktop/en-US/RPMS/openoffice.org-core05-2.4.0-9268.i586.rpm' '///home/luisjorge/Desktop/en-US/RPMS/openoffice.org-core05u-2.4.0-9268.i586.rpm' '///home/luisjorge/Desktop/en-US/RPMS/openoffice.org-glib2-2.4.0-9268.i586.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libglib-2.0.so.0;47d9446c: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libstdc++.so.6.1;47d9446c: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/libgcc_s.so.1.1.1;47d9446c: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
RESULT=3
Is there something I can do?

Thanks in advance!
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

luisjorge:

Tell me if this works: add --nomd5 or --no-md5 to the command line.

Also, tell me your OS version and your RPM program version.
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
luisjorge

Post by luisjorge »

Hi! I just tried it, and I think it worked, but there's a problem. When I run any OpenOffice 2.4 program, I get this:

/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl
I used version 4.4.1 of RPM, in Ubuntu gutsy 7.10. I also wanted to ask you, which package for desktop integration can I use for Ubuntu? I can see for SUSE, Mandriva...but nothing for debian or ubuntu. Or is there a way I can create the launchers for this version of OpenOffice in my menu?

Thank you very much!

Luis Jorge.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

luisjorge wrote:Hi! I just tried it, and I think it worked, but there's a problem. When I run any OpenOffice 2.4 program, I get this:

/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl
Try Google... which brings up stuff like this http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=5
I used version 4.4.1 of RPM, in Ubuntu gutsy 7.10. I also wanted to ask you, which package for desktop integration can I use for Ubuntu? I can see for SUSE, Mandriva...but nothing for debian or ubuntu. Or is there a way I can create the launchers for this version of OpenOffice in my menu?
Sorry, I must not have made those. You can try using "alien" to convert the freedesktop rpm to a deb
luisjorge

Post by luisjorge »

Thanks for all the help! I think I better wait until the finished version is released. Still, thanks for answering all my questions!

Luis Jorge.
lengo

Post by lengo »

So I just received an e-mail today from OpenOffice.org, informing me that 2.4 was now available. I checked out the release notes and saw, as the second feature of Impress, "Thrilling 3D effects in slide transitions." I downloaded the v. 2.4 *.deb package (for Ubuntu), found my way through the install (had to uninstall the Ubuntu native install first), but--to my disappointment--couldn't find any "Thrilling 3D effects in slide transitions". Is this a case of false advertising or premature release information?
LO 4 | W7-64
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

From the page you mentioned:
when OpenOffice.org 2.4 is released, this extension will be available.
It does not say immediately, right? :)

The original 2.4 release notes had a link to an article with a video and a special OpenOffice.org binary download. That article, which proves this feature exists and even lets you try it yourself, will be updated once the extension is available.

To answer your question more directly, the extension is a little late. I even tried to package it myself, but I have not yet succeeded.
luisjorge

Post by luisjorge »

Hello!
lengo wrote:So I just received an e-mail today from OpenOffice.org, informing me that 2.4 was now available. I checked out the release notes and saw, as the second feature of Impress, "Thrilling 3D effects in slide transitions." I downloaded the v. 2.4 *.deb package (for Ubuntu), found my way through the install (had to uninstall the Ubuntu native install first), but--to my disappointment--couldn't find any "Thrilling 3D effects in slide transitions". Is this a case of false advertising or premature release information?
Well, I also tried with the special package from the article, and couldn't get it to work (as you could probably see in my previous posts). Still, yesterday I installed the beta version of Ubuntu 8.04, and it already comes with OpenOffice 2.4 (which says 2.3 until you install all the updates, then it really says 2.4 :? ) and I installed a package called "openoffice.org-ogltrans" and voila! The new "thrilling 3d effects" were available! I must say, they're pretty good! Also, they run really smooth and faster that the video in the article.
lengo

Post by lengo »

AndrewZ wrote:From the page you mentioned:
when OpenOffice.org 2.4 is released, this extension will be available.
It does not say immediately, right? :)
No, but neither does it say there is a wait involved. Its availability seems dependent on the release of v. 2.4, which is released (from which: "The OpenOffice.org Community is pleased to announce the release of OpenOffice.org 2.4, the latest version of the leading open source office productivity suite. OpenOffice.org 2.4 includes many new features, enhancements, and bug fixes to all its core components. OpenOffice.org 2.4 is available for immediate download and the new features are described in the release notes" [emphasis mine]).
AndrewZ wrote:To answer your question more directly, the extension is a little late. I even tried to package it myself, but I have not yet succeeded.
Fair enough--I'm sure I can't appreciate the difficulty of that as I'm a very new Linux user and just installing an update of OOo is challenge enough! :) I wish you well, but I still think the release notes are misleading . . .
LO 4 | W7-64
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

lengo wrote:new features are described in the release notes" [emphasis mine]).
The new feature is the ability to run such an extension (not the extension itself). I tried to make that clear in the release notes, but it could be more clear. I didn't bother because I assumed the oxt would be available now...

By the way, something similar happened with OOo 2.3 and the presenter view extension.
lengo

Post by lengo »

AndrewZ wrote:The new feature is the ability to run such an extension (not the extension itself). I tried to make that clear in the release notes, but it could be more clear.
Ahhhh, the ability to run such an extension--well that's a horse of a different wheelbase. Yes, it could be more clear. Still, I wish you good speed on the extension itself; I wouldn't be adding to this thread if I didn't find the prospect "thrilling"!
LO 4 | W7-64
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

I was not able to build the extension within the time I had. However, I posted some solutions and answers on this article: Where is the OpenGL 3D extension for Impress?. Every Linux user should get it running one way or another.
gmureddu

Post by gmureddu »

I'm sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I figured better to add my comments here instead of creating a new thread.

Looking for these effects I decided to ditch the Fedora 9 bundled OOo and tried to install OxygenOffice, as per the suggestions here. It appears as if all the required files are already installed (see bellow), however, how do I use the effects? I already tried to use it but I don't seem to see them in the transition effects list.

Here are what files are installed:

ls /opt/openoffice.org2.4/ -R | grep [oO][gG][lL]
OGLTrans.uno.so
transitions-ogl.xml
A4-loglin.otg
A4-loglog.otg
I already have enabled OpenGL under Tools - Options - View - OpenGL, etc. Do I have to do anything else for 3D transitional effects to work?
RGB

Post by RGB »

Just scroll the list for page transitions. You will soon recognize which ones are the 3d versions because the HUGE amount of time they need to load. On my core 2 duo with 2GB of ram, an opengl transition takes more than 15 seconds to load.
So you see: I have the 3d transitions, but I don't use them. At this point of the development, they are not reliable.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice