[Solved] Problem with Install of 3.2.1

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
umwhockey

[Solved] Problem with Install of 3.2.1

Post by umwhockey »

So somewhat of a newbie here and hope this wasn't covered as I didn't find anything about it. Open Office tried to update and the update failed. I went to the website and downloaded the full install version and when it tries to install it says that the older version of open office can't be uninstalled and the installation doesn't go through so now I am left with no open office at all. I can't even uninstall it using the normal uninstall measures. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but kinda stuck right now.

Thanks,

Mike
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Problem with Install of 3.2.1

Post by thomasjk »

Download, install and run http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/S ... lity.shtml. Point it at the old install in the list and click remove.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
umwhockey

Re: Problem with Install of 3.2.1

Post by umwhockey »

That worked... thanks for your help
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
rosemary700

Re: [Solved] Problem with Install of 3.2.1

Post by rosemary700 »

I've had the same problem when trying to install Open Office 3.2.1. I've done everything everyone else describes, up to and including downloading the msicuu programme. This (after starting it as administrator) ran by itself, and I don't know what it achieved, as it didn't give me a list of programmes at which I could point it (as suggested by someone else).

I therefore still get stuck when I try to install the OO 3.2.1. I get the 'network resource unavailable' message, with no idea where to suggest it should find the 'openoffice' file it wants.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java from scratch, as that seemed to be causing a problem as well. That seems to be clear now.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I now have no version of OO to use - the earlier one seems to have disappeared of its own accord at some point in the procedure, which i started over a week ago!

I'm running MS Vista on a Dell Aspire 5610Z, with dual-core processor, 120GB HDD, 2GB DDR2.

Thanks
Rosemary
OpenOffice 3.2.1 (pending) Vista
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

rosemary700 wrote:I've had the same problem when trying to install Open Office 3.2.1. I've done everything everyone else describes, up to and including downloading the msicuu programme. This (after starting it as administrator) ran by itself, and I don't know what it achieved, as it didn't give me a list of programmes at which I could point it (as suggested by someone else).

I therefore still get stuck when I try to install the OO 3.2.1. I get the 'network resource unavailable' message, with no idea where to suggest it should find the 'openoffice' file it wants.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Java from scratch, as that seemed to be causing a problem as well. That seems to be clear now.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I now have no version of OO to use - the earlier one seems to have disappeared of its own accord at some point in the procedure, which i started over a week ago!

I'm running MS Vista on a Dell Aspire 5610Z, with dual-core processor, 120GB HDD, 2GB DDR2.

Thanks
Have you tried reinstalling the old version? That should restore the file that the installer for the new version needs to remove the old version.
rosemary700

Post by rosemary700 »

I understand your logic, but I can't find an earlier version of English (British) to install. I can't remember if I used the UK or the US version before - would it matter?
Rosemary
OpenOffice 3.2.1 (pending) Vista
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

rosemary700 wrote:I've had the same problem when trying to install Open Office 3.2.1. I've done everything everyone else describes, up to and including downloading the msicuu programme. This (after starting it as administrator) ran by itself, and I don't know what it achieved, as it didn't give me a list of programmes at which I could point it (as suggested by someone else).
Msicuu2.exe doesn't give you a list of programs. It installs the Windows Install Clean Up utility. You get the list of programs when you run the Windows Install Clean Up which you should find on the Start Menu.
Ralpapajan

Post by Ralpapajan »

OK. I have tried everything I have read here.

It still will not load. I have no OO files on my computer. None! The program is not listed on Windows. The other downloads I was recommended and PAID for cannot find any program. There is obviously something wrong with set up.

I am a writer and a week without a computer means I am missing my deadlines.

I am planning to format my hard-drive now and start again. Any other ideas that will actually work?
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Install a dual boot of any GNU/Linux distro and you'll have a full featured system within an hour, without all the Windows problems...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Ralpapajan wrote:OK. I have tried everything I have read here.

It still will not load. I have no OO files on my computer. None! The program is not listed on Windows. The other downloads I was recommended and PAID for cannot find any program. There is obviously something wrong with set up.

I am a writer and a week without a computer means I am missing my deadlines.

I am planning to format my hard-drive now and start again. Any other ideas that will actually work?
I'd suggest that you start a new thread with a complete description of the problem, including any error messages.