[Solved] Calc 2.3.1 Saving Error

Discuss the spreadsheet application
headscan69

[Solved] Calc 2.3.1 Saving Error

Post by headscan69 »

"ADDITION: SOLVED" ->currently seems to be bug and fix is on order. Thanks.

Upgraded to latest version 2.3.1.

Since then if I leave a big spread-sheet open more than 1 (one) hour, come back and try to save, it errors out. I will post the exact error later when Calc has been open for awhile. I have tried to save to a new file and it: 1. creates the new file with a size of 0 (zero) 2. then errors when trying to interact with it.

If the spreadsheet is needed I can send it, it just tracks football picks for 23 people and isn't complicated.

Any ideas or should I re-install 2.2 if I want to keep open more than 20 minutes?

If the spread sheet is needed give a shout at: headscan69<at>hotmail.com (I check this once a day tops)
The size is 402 KB.
Attachments
This is the error that I receive.
This is the error that I receive.
OO-calc-error.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Adding solved in proper format
Hagar Delest

Re: Calc 2.3.1 Saving Error

Post by Hagar Delest »

It may come from the fact that an utility application is running in the background and deletes temporary files that OOo is still using. Either check if you can spot such application and deactivate it. Or give OOo another location for its temporary files (for example a folder in your My Documents directory). It can be set in the Tools>Options>OOo>Paths dialog.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
matucker18

Post by matucker18 »

Had the same problem when I upgraded to 2.3. I could not save a xml file. This must be a bug. I went back to 2.2 and it saves my xml file.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

A bug report was submitted in March 2006:

Unabilaty to save a document ('unable to write')

This was initially reported as a problem on Windows XP, but comments describe similar behavior on Linux. A fix is currently scheduled for OOo 2.4. There have been discussions on TheOpenOffice.org Forum about this problem.

Error saving file in Writer [SOLVED].
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

headscan69 wrote:"ADDITION: SOLVED" ->currently seems to be bug and fix is on order.
Do we have to conclude that you're able to save now ? What have you done ?
Even if some people think it's a bug, there are solutions to avoid that.
Silverhamr

Post by Silverhamr »

I am having the same problem saving documents. They save for a few days and then I get the error message. I am running Mac OS X (Tiger). Anyone know what may be causing this?
CavGuy

Re: [Solved] Calc 2.3.1 Saving Error

Post by CavGuy »

I am having the exact same problem with Impress. I am running 2.3 on one computer and 2.4 on the other. Both will do this from time to time. I do not think it is SOLVED
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Even if it's not solved, there is an easy workaround for that (have you tried my proposal?). If it still occurs, then, it may be another problem (especially on Mac because I don't think there are applications cleaning regularly the temporary files) and in that case, you should create another thread to avoid mixing all the issues in a single thread.
Roger Arundale

Post by Roger Arundale »

Using OOo 2.4 this error still exists. Have lost large presentation on Impress due to "Write Error" issue. Hagar - what was your suggested solution - something to do with Temp file path?
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, change the Temp folder so that it's not anymore in the system temp one but in your documents (make a special folder for that in your documents area). If there is no change, then you can set back the temp folder to its initial configuration.