Inserting an image in the comments

Discuss the spreadsheet application
alyse

Inserting an image in the comments

Post by alyse »

When I'm in Calc, and I right click and choose "Insert Note" it works,
but I just wanted to know, is there a way to insert an image in the notes?

This is for my ledger, and for some of the items I have an electronic receipt that I would like to show there as an image. If not, I suppose I could copy & paste but having an exact image may be better if I ever need to ask the company about it.

I also plan on having a system where I scan all of my paper receipts to keep them in an electronic file and it would just be very easy to have each receipt for each transaction right on the ledger.

Thank you,
Alyse
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Inserting an image in the comments

Post by Villeroy »

What you really want is a database rather than spreadsheet. No, pictures can not be bound to cells (by means of content) not to mention cell notes.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
warrick nelson

Post by warrick nelson »

You can add an image to Notes (Comment in Excel).

Insert a Note (right click in cell and select Insert Note).
It seems you must have at least one character in a Note - space will work. Right click again in the cell and select Show Note.
Right click on the note and select Area/Bitmaps/Import - find the image you want (does not have to be a bitmap, I've used jpg and png).
Exit by clicking OK, OK. Now resize the Note by dragging the handles to fit the image and finally you can right click in the cell to turn off Show Note.

The image seems to be sized based on its original size, and tiles if the Note box is bigger (in Excel, the image seems to be resized to fit within the Comment shape). I've also not worked out how to change the shape of the Note (a Comment in Excel can be changed from the standard rectangle to a Basic Drawing Shape).
allanforms

Post by allanforms »

warrick nelson wrote:You can add an image to Notes (Comment in Excel).
Thank you so mush Warrick , that solve my problem perfectly! :D
LibreOffice 3.5.4.2
Build ID: 350m1(Build:2)
3.5.4+dfsg2-0+deb7u2
Debian GNU/Linux 7.5 (wheezy)