[Solved] Unknown Error when opening old file with Apache

Discuss the spreadsheet application
martymay

[Solved] Unknown Error when opening old file with Apache

Post by martymay »

I just installed Apache and am now unable to open any spreadsheets (Calc) that I created and saved previously with Open Office 3.3.

I get a message that says: Read Error. An unknown error has occurred.

I replaced the old version with the new, so I am unable to revert back or download 3.3 again.

Can I fix this problem?

Thank you! I need these documents so much.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache Open Office 3.4 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
MrProgrammer

Re: Unknown Error when opening old file with Apache

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Did you delete OpenOffice.org.app from /Applications before installing 3.4? If so, the old app may be in your Trash. It's worthwhile to take a look. If it's there, just delete the 3.4 version and restore the old version from the Trash (using File > Put back). If it's not, you can download 3.3 from Download Legacy OpenOffice.org or even more ancient versions from Index of /pub/openoffice-archive/stable.

But before you do either of those, try resetting the your profile. It is a good idea to give yourself a new user profile when you install a new version. Sometimes configuration in the profile is incompatible and it causes strange problems for people. If you use a new user profile, you may find that 3.4 works fine.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Were the files in question passworded?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
martymay

Post by martymay »

I checked in the trash and couldn't find it, no password, but after restarting they opened just fine. I didn't know I had to restart afterwards. Sorry! and thanks!
Apache Open Office 3.4 on Mac OS X 10.6.8
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I asked about passwording (which I don't use) because I understand there have been changes in the encryption methods in more recent OO releases. I suggest it might be advisable to unpassword files before changing to AOO3.4; one can always repassword them afterwards.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS