Cells stop accepting pasted data

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mhawthorne64

Cells stop accepting pasted data

Post by mhawthorne64 »

I regularly run into situations where I'll be working along in Calc, and suddenly I'm no longer able to paste anything into my sheet. I've been working on a project that involves a lot of cutting and pasting into Calc. I've got the entire sheet formatted as text, and I still have the data on my clipboard and I can paste it into Notepad and other places, but not into Calc. I have closed Calc and reopened it and that doesn't work. The only thing that does seem to work is to completely reboot my machine, which is not a workable answer. :crazy:

Admittedly I run a lot of stuff on my pc at a time, but would a memory issue make Calc completely worthless while other applications work? I've got 4g RAM on my machine. Is Calc a huge memory hog? I run into the same behavior from more than one PC.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.30 Win7
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Cells stop accepting pasted data

Post by kingfisher »

There have been a lot of posts recently about pasting issues. One or more has/have also affected excel. One unlikely cause, evidently, relates to Skype.

I don't have a link for it but I gather that IE9 can cause problems. You could try removing it. I understand, IE8 is automatically installed in its place.
Last edited by kingfisher on Sun May 20, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, OpenOffice is sensitive to applications which monitor/touch the clipboard. If you have any such appkications running, it is worth turning them off for a time to see if that cures the problem. One application that caused a similar problem for me was one which allowed multiple items to be copieds to the clipboard and then the selection of which to paste.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mhawthorne64

Post by mhawthorne64 »

I did see some posts about pasting formulas into a spreadsheet, but that didn't seem to apply to this.

Another nugget I forgot to mention is that sometimes I can paste from my clipboard (?) but it pastes one thing into the spreadsheet (the last datum I successfully pasted into the SS) but if I paste it outside of the spreadsheet, it's something completely different. In other words, I'll paste "cat" into the spreadsheet, then whatever this glitch is occurs, and even though I have something completely different in my cache, and it pastes a URL (for example) into Notepad, it still pastes "Cat" into Calc.

I had seen a mention of Skype, but didn't see how it figures in. I have Skype installed, though I've never used it beyond setting up my account. I also have a desktop widget that saves the clipboard history...

I don't think I have Skype on my other computer where I experience this behavior, but I do have this same widget. Maybe I'll remove it from one of the machines and see what happens...

Thanks for the input.
OpenOffice 3.30 Win7