[Solved] Big gap at bottom of cells when sheet printed...

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Graeme

[Solved] Big gap at bottom of cells when sheet printed...

Post by Graeme »

Hi all.
:)

When I enter lots of text into a cell on a sheet for series DivX, there is a large empty gap at the bottom of the cell.

I have double-checked that there are no extra spaces or EOL there, and if I copy the cell to another cell, the same gap exists.

First off, this is what it looks like when you are plain editing within the sheet:

This is exactly how I want it to look.

However, when you do a print of the page, or even a print-preview, this is how it looks:

See the huge gap at the bottom of the EPISODE LIST cell, on the According to jim row?

This print-preview image is a true image of how the page prints, as it prints with this big gap too.

No matter what i try, I cannot get rid of this gap on the preview or the actual print, but when you are working within the sheet, the gap is not there.

Any ideas?

I'm using OO version 2.0.2 - would the latest version(2.4) fix this issue do you think?
Last edited by Graeme on Thu May 08, 2008 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Big gap at bottom of cells when sheet printed...

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can't reproduce that, can you upload a sample file here?
You should indeed upgrade, 2.0 branch is really deprecated now.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

...by the time I thought about the "Word", the photos had been posted.
If it bothers any moderator, please delete the photos, and I will re-edit and re-upload...

I have just now finished updating to 2.4, and the problem is still there, and it happens on other cells where there is a lot of text too, so it is not just this one cell, but any cell with more then a few words.

Thanks for the prod!
;)

The test file contains only one test sheet - don't worry - none of the other sheets...
The problem is on the test sheet too. big gap.ods
Attachments
big gap.ods
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by Graeme on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

When you write a message, there is a blue tab at bottom of page to upload attachments.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Thanks for the pointer.
File uploaded - see previous post...

The only thing I can think of which MIGHT be causing this, is that I have set the page borders to LESS then the default. This resulted in Calc popping up with a message that the print area was out of range of the printer, but this is not actually so - the page prints fine, with nothing missing off the top, bottom, left or right. The print is pretty close to the edge of the paper on the left and right borders though, but it does print fine.

Not sure if this is of any help, but thought I would mention it, in case it is relevant...
8-)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, same for me. I don't use calc very often in fact and it seems that resizing columns is rather strange. I made some tests and I've sometimes the opposite result: the text is outside the cell in the upper border (so first line appears like strikethrough) :shock:

The Calc view in edit mode is indeed different from the Print Preview (line feeds not at the same place)! The print preview takes the same cell size as the edit mode but it fills it differently. Like font was not the same, hence a different rendering. See attachment below, screenshots taken with same zoom level.
Cell_sizes.png
I'll check the issue tracker, I'm pretty sure it has been reported, it's too obvious.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've filed a bug report: Issue 88864 - Print preview different from edit mode. You should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue) as soon as it's confirmed.
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

Although I use Calc quite a lot I've not come across this, as I don't tend to fill cells with text, however I have found a work round.

If you shrink the row by the same size as the gap (in this case its 4 rows of text) it previews and prints correctly
WR.png
WR.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 10189 times
Of cause in edit mode you lose the bottom 4 rows of text, messy but it works.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

Interesting, the gap changes with different font types and sizes, sometimes going the other way so instead of getting a gap you lose some text.

Switching from 8pt Arial to 9 pt Verdana gives a reasonable result so it may be worth trying some other combos.
Verdana.png
Verdana.png (10.23 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
Last edited by Cambirder on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Thank you both for your replies.

Interesting...

I'm glad that you have the same problem - it's not just me then!
:lol:

Thanks for the links and posting a bug report, Hagar de l'Est .

I will vote for it, if/when it is confirmed.

In my youth, I seem to recall a similar problem with Excel(when I used it), if you enter lots of text in any one cell. I don't know if they ever fixed that, as I have not used MS-Office for years.(don't worry - not planning to go back just because of this!!!)
fst
Volunteer

Post by fst »

Hi,

this seems to be a problem with the font metrics used to print on the paper.

Have a look at tools-options-openoffice.org Calc-General-Use printermetrics for text formatting .

This setting may solve the problem.

Frank
Frank

If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

Have a look at tools-options-openoffice.org Calc-General-Use printermetrics for text formatting .

Yes, that does fix the problem ;)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Use printer metrics for text formatting
Specifies that printer metrics are applied for printing and also for formatting the display on the screen. If this box is not checked, a printer independent layout will be used for screen display and printing.
What I find strange is that if the box is not checked, we have the problem. But a printer independent layout should be fine every time, shouldn't it? Why the font display should be different between edit mode and print preview :?:

Graeme, thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

fst wrote:Hi,

this seems to be a problem with the font metrics used to print on the paper.

Frank
YES - FIXED IT!!!!!

Thanks very much to all.
Sorry for the delay to reply - have been busy.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
What I find strange is that if the box is not checked, we have the problem. But a printer independent layout should be fine every time, shouldn't it? Why the font display should be different between edit mode and print preview :?:
I agree - most strange, however, if it works...
Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Graeme, thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
OK - will do this now...