[Solved] Leading Zeroes in SKU Column disappear in UTF-8

Discuss the spreadsheet application
BKNYC718

[Solved] Leading Zeroes in SKU Column disappear in UTF-8

Post by BKNYC718 »

I've read and tried several solutions to the leading zeroes disappearing in a particular column or field. I've tried the apostrophe ('0) method, tried formatting the column as a text, tried adding Leading zeroes in the Options tab etc. The fact is these are ALL valid solutions EXCEPT if you want to save the file as a .CSV with UTF-8 or ASCII encoding which is an absolute must for me. Is there any way at all around this? I'm using OpenOffice to work with spreadsheets that are basically the inventory for my Magento e-commerce site, which accepts csv files in ONLY UTF-8 and ASCII, and a ton of products have a leading zero in their sku number. Please help, I cant possibly be the only one facing this issue and the solutions I've read about don't take into account UTF-8 or ASCII encoding's.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 / Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Leading Zeroes in SKU Column disappear when saving as UT

Post by Villeroy »

You must not use a spreadsheet as text file editor. This can not work.
This is the editor you need: http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
BKNYC718

Re: Leading Zeroes in SKU Column disappear when saving as UT

Post by BKNYC718 »

Villeroy wrote:You must not use a spreadsheet as text file editor. This can not work.
This is the editor you need: http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/
That was SHOCKINGLY quick, and super helpful. May Santa bring you everything you ever wanted this year lol. Thanks a MILLION. Will try it out.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 / Windows 7