[Issue] No black borders around symbols

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mace_coshubi

[Issue] No black borders around symbols

Post by mace_coshubi »

Hi,
with version 3.3 a new feature was added:
[Bug 109771] no black borders around symbols

The point is, I actually want those borders to my symbols. Most of my charts, actually turned out unreadable with this option. Specially symbols with weak colors like yellow and white can't be recognized anymore.
Is there a way to undo this option?

The file in the attachment shows what I mean. The picture on the left is how it used to be and on the right how it it is now. I want to get back to the left side.

Thanks.
M
Attachments
Unbenannt 2.pdf
(30.98 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
mace_coshubi

Re: No black borders around symbols

Post by mace_coshubi »

Isn't there maybe the possibility to write a macro to change this?
andyroberts1234

Post by andyroberts1234 »

If you could get the gif's of the symbols you want which have borders and place in the gallery location you should be able to select it when you choose your icon. If you still have the old version installed you should be able to find these gif files, otherwise do a google search for your desired icon
Andy

OOO 3.3.0 / Windows 7 64-bit
mace_coshubi

Post by mace_coshubi »

That is indeed a good idea.
I tried to find them, but couln't. They're not the ones in the gallery folder. Them rather seem to be coded entities?!?
flarian

Post by flarian »

Hi!
I want these black lines back, too. Without them my charts look horrible. Using gifs is a weird and ugly workaround... BTW, the current solution is inconsistent. In all the dialogues where you can change the symbols you see the borders. Click OK and they are gone. And, if you have a line and symbols, it lookls really ugly.

I think the only solution would be to re-open the bug report or post a new bug report. I am not familiar with the bug reporting for open office - can somebody please do the job?

Thanks,

Ralf
Last edited by flarian on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win7
flarian

Post by flarian »

The black lines are necessary especially if the chart is printed in black/white, the only reason why different types of symbols are necessary. But if you cannot see the borders of symbols any more, the different types of symbols are very hard to destinguish because their color is very similar to other symbols or has little contrast to the background.
Last edited by flarian on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win7
acknak

Post by acknak »

Wow. That's a nasty change; I wonder what the reasoning was behind that?

Anyway, OOo Chart can use any kind of marker symbol--if you're patient and motivated enough to jump through all the necessary hoops.
chart_sample.png
chart_sample.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Here's a previous thread that talks about how to do it: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =9&t=17781
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
flarian

Post by flarian »

This has been reported as new issue: http://openoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=117838
Maybe in a future release either there will be borders again or the borders can be configured, which should be solvable, too.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win7