SARS easyfile

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bobglen

SARS easyfile

Post by bobglen »

Hi
For those tax practioners in South Africa, you know that SARS pulled a nasty by upgrading their software but forcing you to recapture all the non core data after the upgrade, now this is not a problem if your comapny only has 3 employees but can really be a drag if your company has 200 employees. I have attached a odt spreadsheet that quickly allows you to create the records and calculates the hash totals for you to import it into to EasyFile using the "Import Payroll" function. You will need to adjust the number of employee lines etc.. Export the Export sheet as a CSV making sure you tick edit export function, then remove the text deliminator " . Finally you will need to edit the CSV file using notepad to get rid of the extra fields in the header and tail, these will appear as a whole string of commas after the end of record identifier "9999"

For those of you battling to find the SARS 2010 codes for the CSV file. Dont use the official released document as someone has simply pasted the 2009 codes. Use instead the "Business Requirements Specification PAYE Reconcilliation 2010" (use the search button on the SARS web site) This document has the correct codes.

The example file attached is password protected to prevent overiding of field codes etc, the password however is null (ie empty)

Have fun
Bob
Attachments
Easyfilertemplate.ods
Template for creating 2010 South African Revenue Services certificates.
(34.34 KiB) Downloaded 3374 times
oompieter

Re: SARS easyfile

Post by oompieter »

Hi,
Thank you for sharing your spreadsheet. I'm new to Open Office Calc. Please bear with me and explain what you mean by Export the export sheet as a CSV .....etc. If I click File .. export on Calc it gives me no other option but to export as a PDF file. Thank you ever so much.
OPEN OFFICE 3.2.0 ON WINDOWS XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

File > Save As and then drop down the the 'Save as type' menu in the File Save dialog box. CSV is listed near the bottom of the menu that appears.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
laurence62

Post by laurence62 »

Thanks for all this info. I run a small outfit (farm) with my own Excel spreadsheet wage program and have been searching for the easyfile CSV format. I can't tell you how hard I searched all over the internet to find a link to the document that describes the format. The relevant document "Business Requirements Specification PAYE Reconcilliation 2010" is NOT easy to find on the SARS website, unless you know what you are looking for. The example spreadsheet is also super useful.
Openoffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Gab24

Post by Gab24 »

Hi there,
Anyone still around?

I am having some difficulty importing this csv file and am not Excel savvy at all.

I am getting the following error code: Invalid value for code 6010 : 7760739674202002000000S0000014.

Please help
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is a Windows program called "Editor". Right-click the file, choose "Open With" and select "Editor". This way you avoid using a tool that you don't understand.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Gab24 wrote:... I am having some difficulty importing this csv file and am not Excel savvy at all.

I am getting the following error code: Invalid value for code 6010 : 7760739674202002000000S0000014. ...
A few points worth mentioning:
  • The above advice is 10 years old, and may no longer be relevant/sufficient.
  • The attached spreadsheet was made for OpenOffice Calc, and may not work properly in other software such as Excel
    While there is good compatibility between the spreadsheet apps, it is not 100%. Check your results!
  • Read the instructions!
    one point which may have a bearing on the issue you mention:
    ... Finally you will need to edit the CSV file using notepad to get rid of the extra fields in the header and tail, these will appear as a whole string of commas after the end of record identifier "9999"