[Solved] Changing TAB / text colours in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jackbnimble

[Solved] Changing TAB / text colours in Calc

Post by jackbnimble »

Hi
Is it possible to change the TAB colour or text colour in Calc, to make it easier to differentiate between the numerous sheets I have? I have tried and searched all places but have give up.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

jack
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.1
Vista
acknak

Re: Changing TAB / text colours in Calc

Post by acknak »

Sorry, not yet. The feature is coded and due to be released with OOo 3.3, in June.

I would expect it to appear in the developer snapshots sometime soon, if you'd like to test it.

Issue 5560: Add possibility to change color of sheet labels (tabs)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jackbnimble

Re: Changing TAB / text colours in Calc

Post by jackbnimble »

Thanks for the swift response, will await the developer snapshot.

jack
Open Office 3.1
Vista
The Dude

Re: [Issue] Changing TAB / text colours in Calc

Post by The Dude »

On a related note, is there any interest in having multiple rows of tabs? I like to have master docs with a huge number of entries, which involves having to skim around a lot. I'm finding myself having difficulty remembering which sheet has which info too, and would use longer and more descriptive titles for the tabs but that would make things even more ungainly.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

The tab idea rapidly becomes messy when more than a few tabs are needed. I guess coloring the tabs would help, but then you still have to remember what color means what.

One alternative is to use OOo's "Navigator" (F5) to move among the sheets, but I find that it's often in the way, or takes too much screen space.

You might want to consider making a "Table of Contents" or "Navigation" sheet at the front, with a table giving the names of all the other sheets (and a description if you want), with a link to each sheet.

That does mean that you have to go back to the front sheet to navigate to a different sheet, but at least you'll have a nice clear list of all the sheets to work from, and the front sheet is relatively easy to get to.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Yeah, I've thought of that. Problem B is remembering which sheet has that cool calc I want to tell people about...guess it will have to be a contents page with copious annotation. That's purely a problem on my end, of course.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Acknak said: One alternative is to use OOo's "Navigator" (F5) to move among the sheets, but I find that it's often in the way, or takes too much screen space.
My solution to having the Stylist (F11) and the Navigator (F5) on display was to install a twin output video card, placing my main 21" monitor on one output and another less well specified monitor (17", rescued from a skip/dumpster) on the other, running on Windows 2000. I position the two information screens to the smaller monitor, keeping the main screen for the main edit window. Twin output cards come from Nvidia and ATI, and doubtless others. If you wish to drive one under linux (Ubuntu in my case) Nvidia is said to be easier to drive.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
danlt

Post by danlt »

acknak wrote:The tab idea rapidly becomes messy when more than a few tabs are needed. I guess coloring the tabs would help, but then you still have to remember what color means what.

One alternative is to use OOo's "Navigator" (F5) to move among the sheets, but I find that it's often in the way, or takes too much screen space.
Another wish-list item: Enable relocating the sheet tabs to the top, or to the left or right (with variable width columns).
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

danlt wrote:Another wish-list item: Enable relocating the sheet tabs to the top, or to the left or right (with variable width columns).
Then file another report.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
danlt

Post by danlt »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
danlt wrote:Another wish-list item: Enable relocating the sheet tabs to the top, or to the left or right (with variable width columns).
Then file another report.
Done, and thank you for your "Reporting bugs or suggestions" topic. I apologize for an inappropriate post to this forum.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + ubuntu
bluetina

Post by bluetina »

I also would like to have colour coded tabs. They were an important part of my system when I used Excel and I just assumed that Calc would have this too. Nevermind, I'll have to devise something else to get round it in the meantime! Necessity is the mother of invention!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The Go-OO based OxygenOffice3.2.1 have this option NOW.
Coloured _tabs.png
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OOo 3.3 also.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
bluetina

Post by bluetina »

So, I just have to download version 3.3?
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, but remember that V3.3 is still in pre-release form, so may have bugs. I understand a Release Candidate for it (i.e., an advance copy of the final Release) is due sometime over the weekend coming; this should be even more stable than version m9, so is worth waiting for.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS