Two-Tone cell background color?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ClarkJackson

Two-Tone cell background color?

Post by ClarkJackson »

I am a complete novice when it comes to spreadsheets in general and a new user to scalc. I use a (what I consider) rather complicated spreadsheet for my monthly report and I have to enter trouble ticket numbers and would like to color code the background of the cells based on what application the ticket applied to.

In some cases I need to input more then one color in the background so half would show in one color and the other would should in another. This is only at the cell level and I cannot split this information into two cells.

Any solution that would allow me to format a cell with two colors would be fine with me, I just would prefer not to use the text color as one of them if at all possible.

Any hope for me on this?

Thanks in advance.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 On WinXP
acknak

Re: Two-Tone cell background color?

Post by acknak »

Maybe someone else has an idea, but I can't think of anything.

Calc only supports solid colors for the cell background, and you can't use hatching or an image, so I can't think how you might color code that.

And, in general, spreadsheets are made to hold one value per cell, and they get very awkward when you try to operations on cells containing more than one value.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

acknak wrote:Maybe someone else has an idea, but I can't think of anything.

Calc only supports solid colors for the cell background, and you can't use hatching or an image, so I can't think how you might color code that.

And, in general, spreadsheets are made to hold one value per cell, and they get very awkward when you try to operations on cells containing more than one value.
If we think of the cell as the smallest fundamental unit of the spreadsheet, two colours in one cell background seems not possible.

However, just to pass the time ...

If you type "12345" in a cell (for example), and hit enter, it is possible to edit each digit to a different colour using font colour. Of what use that will be is anyone's guess :roll: .
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
moondancer

Post by moondancer »

The only way i could see to setup a two-toned cell is to setup a new style for those cells change the border to use a user defined border with different colors for each border if necessary. then you could setup some conditional formatting to use that cell style.
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu 9.10