I can't open my spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
fjordo

I can't open my spreadsheet

Post by fjordo »

I have been using an open office spreadsheet to keep track of daily events. I used it last night, saved, and when I went to open it this morning it wouldn't open. It is a .ods file, always has been, now instead of opening up, a text import display box is present or an ASCII filter options display box, and I can't access my information, or view it. The file itself is 500kb, so I know the information is still there somewhere. How can I get this to work again or access my info so I can create a new spreadsheet?

Sometimes it will open, but in open office writer, not the spreadsheet, and only displays this, "###############################################################################################
###################################################################################################
###################################################################################################
###################################################################################################".

I can't upload the document because it is too large, but if anyone thinks they may be able to help, I can email it to them. If they can fix it for me, or even get the information off of it so I can add the text to a new spreadsheet, it would be hugely appreciated.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: I can't open my spreadsheet

Post by acknak »

Sorry, but when this happens it usually means that the document file is broken or corrupted. The '#'s indicate nulls or zero characters in the file; if that's all you see, then there's probably no data to recover.

Upload the document to a file sharing site and post a link here if you want someone to take a look to be sure, but I don't think anyone's ever gotten usable data back from a file that shows this behavior.

Two other examples:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=24287
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=17677
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23