[Solved] Any plans for unlimited rows?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
vsa_sun

[Solved] Any plans for unlimited rows?

Post by vsa_sun »

From time to time i have to analyze some logs. Usually i was doing it with MS Excel, just because it is installed on every machine. Recently i started to run into 65536 rows limitation of MS Excel 2003. Open Office seemed to be the natural replacement, so i installed it.

To my surprise OO 3.1.1 has the same 65536 rows limitation as MS Excel 2003.

It looks like i have to ask to buy another upgrade to MS Office. Any better ideas?
Last edited by vsa_sun on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP 32
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Any plans for unlimited rows?

Post by r4zoli »

The go-oo source OOo for example Novell edition on windows, and nearly all linux distros builded OOo use cell limit 1million as experimental limit, see details in Kohei Yoshida presentation on OOoCon 2009 Achievement and challenges in Calc.
It is not in case in OOo from OOo site (Sun) version.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

vsa_sun wrote:From time to time i have to analyze some logs.
OOo comes with a database. Better filters, better sort options, better performance, better everything.
[Example] Loading CSV into preformatted spreadsheets. Refer to file #1 (text file) and #2 which is a database with an user interface to edit the text file. Of course you should access your log files read-only.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
vsa_sun

Post by vsa_sun »

Villeroy wrote: OOo comes with a database. Better filters, better sort options, better performance, better everything.
Thanks a lot for an example - i might need something like that in the future. However, it does not address my issue - i really need some 'quick' functionality which Excel/Calc have - like ability to select range with a mouse and draw a chart immediately. If it takes more then several seconds to do - it is useless for me...
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP 32
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Any plans for unlimited rows?

Post by Villeroy »

You can set up the chain of connections once and then exchange only the text file as long it has the same structure as the provious text file (which should be the case with logs).
You can also link a set of differently structured logs to the same database and copy Oct2009_typeA.csv over current_typeA.csv and Oct2009_typeB.txt over current_typeB.txt in the same folder as the odb document. Then refresh the database tables and reload the forms.
Using Linux file systems, file links instead of file copies work perfectly.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice