Automated Date field that does not change

Discuss the spreadsheet application
D-Dave

Automated Date field that does not change

Post by D-Dave »

Help! I need to automatically apply a date to a field but the date can't change on me each time I open the file as it does with TODAY(). I guess I need an expression to make TODAY() not change or something ?? Please help ! !
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Automated Date field that does not change

Post by squenson »

If you type =TODAY() or =NOW() in a cell, the value will always be changed. So, edit your cell, press F9 and Enter to transform the result of the formula in a fixed number. When you know the sequence, it is extremely quick: F2 - F9 - Enter, done!
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
D-Dave

Re: Solved ! Automated Date field that does not change

Post by D-Dave »

Thanks ! !
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
th_webster

Re: Automated Date field that does not change

Post by th_webster »

squenson wrote:If you type =TODAY() or =NOW() in a cell, the value will always be changed. So, edit your cell, press F9 and Enter to transform the result of the formula in a fixed number. When you know the sequence, it is extremely quick: F2 - F9 - Enter, done!
I want to do the same thing; the key is that it is automatic, which doing it manually for each record is not. If I have multiple fields in a row, e.g. "Name", "Address" and "Date," I want the date generated automatically when I enter the name and address and in such a way that it does not reset each time.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows Vista