Can I put a strikethrough on an entire cell?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
seseberg

Can I put a strikethrough on an entire cell?

Post by seseberg »

I just can't figure out how to create a - strikethrough line in a cell. How do I do that? the border formatting only allows me to edit the edges or the diagonals. How about a middle line (not the font line, I know about that but I don't want that). I just want a middle line from left to right or vice-versa that would strikethrough the whole cell.

Please help, I couldn't find it in the manual....

Thanks!

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Simple Calc thing...

Post by Villeroy »

Patterns and lines as cell backgrounds is one of the rare Excel features that are completely missing in Calc.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
seseberg

Post by seseberg »

Villeroy wrote:Patterns and lines as cell backgrounds is one of the rare Excel features that are completely missing in Calc.
Well, not neccesarily as backgrounds, but something that would strike the damn thing through.....

How will I do them know?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can strike through the cell's value. Tab "Font Effects" on the cell formatting dialog.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
seseberg

Post by seseberg »

Villeroy wrote:You can strike through the cell's value. Tab "Font Effects" on the cell formatting dialog.
I already did that, but I wrote above that I don't want the strikethrough to just strike through the words, but the whole cell.
The font effect doesn't cover the whole cell, just the text.
acknak

Post by acknak »

As long as you don't need the strikethrough as a background, you can always place a graphic line or rectangle over the cell. It's a mess if you ever need to rearrange the cells, since the graphics can easily get out of sync with the cell and its content, but it could perhaps be useful in a pinch as a "finishing touch."
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
GWS

Re: Can I put a strikethrough on an entire cell?

Post by GWS »

Just checked and strikethrough does strike a space so if you can fill the rest of the cell with leading/trailing spaces this can fill the conplete cell.

This what I have been looking for in the following post.

Gary
OpenOffice 2.3.1 on Windows Vista
kleenmaint

Re: Can I put a strikethrough on an entire cell?

Post by kleenmaint »

I compromised as I wanted a horizontal line under my column headings. I selected an entire row by clicking on the far left cell row number: then I chose format>merge cells (this isn't necessary although it does take out the vertical cell lines> again, format>cells>background>black. I then made the height of the row as small as possible by double clicking on the cell divider below this horizontal row, but it is still rather thick.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10