[Solved] Search with Button in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Magisterequitum

[Solved] Search with Button in Calc

Post by Magisterequitum »

Hi there,

im having a tiny problem here which some of you might help me with.
I need a Calc sheet where i can lookup adress codes.
It should be 2 sheets 1st one with a mask where i enter the adress code and the result is returned to display. The second sheet filled with the data.
Do i have to use a Macro to realize this or is there any premade possibility?

Thanks a lot in Advance!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Search with Button in Calc

Post by jrkrideau »

Magisterequitum wrote:Hi there,

im having a tiny problem here which some of you might help me with.
I need a Calc sheet where i can lookup adress codes.
It should be 2 sheets 1st one with a mask where i enter the adress code and the result is returned to display. The second sheet filled with the data.
Do i have to use a Macro to realize this or is there any premade possibility?

Thanks a lot in Advance!
Have a look at VLOOKUP() in the Calc functions. It may do what you want.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

There should be no need for any macro--what you describe is a simple "lookup" which can be done in Calc with the built-in lookup functions, e.g. VLOOKUP.

I don't know what an "address code" is. If you can give us a little more detailed description of what you want, an example could possibly show up.

PS: Oops! Didn't see the jrkrideau's message.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Magisterequitum

Sorry just read over my post and it aint exactly what you call a well formed question ;)

Heres what i need:
I have a list with 3 rows and 10000 entrys. The entrys are clearly defined by a number which is a post code.

Example: |90768|Fürth|N|

Im in need of a lookup mask where i enter the post code, push a button and get the data "Fürth" and "N" filled into 2 fields of the mask.
Personally i would look up the data with "Find" from calc but i need to implement some ergonomy for my coworkers which tend to be lazy when it comes to shortcut working (STRG + F). :cry:
I Think this should be a really standard feature but im not anyhow expirienced with scripting.

Thanks a lot for the already given answers, I will try to figure out something with the VLOOKUP() function.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This has always been a standard feature for database tools. Spreadsheets are not made for this.

In a spreadsheet you can use filters if, and only if, your coworkers are not lazy at all. List keeping in the "wrong" application requires some amount of discipline.
Select the address list, including the first row of column headers
menu:Data>Define...
Give a name to the list and make sure that the additional option "Contains column labels" is checked.
Push buttons [Add] and [OK]
menu:Data>Filter>AutoFilter
Now you can filter the list by picking values from a drop down.
Function SUBTOTAL and the "quick results" in the right corner of the status bar aggregate visibly filtered data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Here's an example of what you described. It's very simple to set up, but as Villeroy points out, not very satisfying to use: unless the person already knows a correct post code, the sheet does not help at all.

If you go to something like a filter, as Villeroy suggests, then you can get some input help (pick from a list), or allow for partial entries that give more than one result: all entries starting with "902", e.g.
Attachments
postal_lookup.ods
(9.88 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Magisterequitum

acknak wrote:Here's an example of what you described. It's very simple to set up, but as Villeroy points out, not very satisfying to use: unless the person already knows a correct post code, the sheet does not help at all.

If you go to something like a filter, as Villeroy suggests, then you can get some input help (pick from a list), or allow for partial entries that give more than one result: all entries starting with "902", e.g.

Perfect thats exactly what i was looking for thanks a lot!