Calc 3.1 hang on copy paste

Discuss the spreadsheet application
chnuettler

Calc 3.1 hang on copy paste

Post by chnuettler »

Copy and Paste of some lines (e.g. 3) from a not empty area to another not empty area (wich overlaps) causes calc to consume 100% Cpu. Must kill calc. Problem is repeating with different sheets.
I am going back to 3.0.1 now
System WindowsXP german.
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP + Kubuntu, Xubuntu
mriosv
Volunteer

Re: Calc 3.1 hang on copy paste

Post by mriosv »

This is a now issue, and is solved in the development version DEV300m51 (3.2)
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
rrowlett

Post by rrowlett »

I'm having a similar issue with copy/paste in Calc 3.1, but on Mac OS X 10.5.7.
For me, Calc crashes, offering to save the files I was working on. It does this,
but I simply encounter the same issue after the files have been recovered. If
this problem has been solved in the development version, I believe it needs to
be provided as a patch to 3.1 ASAP. At this point, I cannot trust Calc 3.1 with
my spreadsheets. I have seen others saying to drop back to 3.0.1 - is this the
only current solution other than to use a development version?
OOo 3.1.X on Mac OSx Leopard
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes. The version with the "urgent fixes" for 3.1 is not scheduled to be released until late August--another six weeks away.

Until then, you'll have to either avoid whatever operation triggers the crash or drop back to a previous version that does not have the problem.

If Calc is crashing while recovering files, you'll have to cancel the recovery and go back to whatever the state of the document was when you last saved it. If the document has critical unsaved changes, you can tell OOo to save the recovery file and then try to manually recover the changes.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

In a simple verifying this bug is solved on development version DEV300m51.
rrowlett

Post by rrowlett »

I dropped back to 3.0.1 (thank you Time Machine), but I think this is a pretty nasty bug to have to wait 6 more weeks for a fix
CALuke76

Post by CALuke76 »

Yeah it is petty bad, but it comes and goes.
Sometimes it works find and other times I have to do things like copy, delete and paste to get around it.

This Post is by C.A. Luke, Manager of Comic and Games Cafe-
Where the Comics, Games and Anime you want is just a click away.
"Thank you, come again!" - Apu, from The Simpsons
zmdmw52

Post by zmdmw52 »

Changing Java version in OpenOffice.org may help, as I had similar problem in pasting HTML text into Writer (version 3.1.1 - would crash every time HTML-formatted text was pasted into Writer). Changing the Java version helped in my case; changed from /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre to/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.16/jre.
This option is available in Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java (attached pict)
See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=16
Linux (Ubuntu 9.04, openSUSE 11.1) w/ OpenOffice 3.1.1
chnuettler

Post by chnuettler »

Is the issue fixed in 3.1.1 or have I to wait until 3.2?
Try and Error consumes on my Windows-box about 3 hours, this is not possible.
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP + Kubuntu, Xubuntu
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

I think is fixed in 3.1.1
gkreth

Post by gkreth »

mriosv wrote:I think is fixed in 3.1.1
Nope, unfortunately, it's not. Unless I'm getting altogether some other sort of "hanging problem"...

The problem is, it's very intermittent; I cannot re-create it at will.

But when I happens, it's usually on a copy/paste. And I'm talking about SMALL formulas.

Sometimes the hang is not on the paste, but when i try to save after a copy/paste.

I just went from 3.1 to 3.1.1, and I'm still getting it....

It doesn't crash my machine but the delay is quite annoying!

I have a Dell laptop, Intel dual-core 2.39 GHz, 2Gb of RAM, 160Gb HDD with only 22.8Gb used (126 Gb free).

--Greg
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
iplocker

Post by iplocker »

Hallo.

I have the same problem even in 3.2 version :(

Its very annoying and I m wondering how come that its remains unsolved even in 3.2 version .

Thanks
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP SP3
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

am having exactly the same problem, running OO3.1.1, every time i try to copy and paste , just row headings and formula's the damn thing crashes!, sorry no solution here yet, just frustration!
windows 7, open office 2.1
radeksz

Post by radeksz »

Try disabling clipboard history tracker, it helped on my Mac.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on MacOS 10.6
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

I see that there are several of these topics about performance problems using Cut/Copy/Paste.

Topic 3679
Topic 12981
Topic 20419

I'm not experiencing the problem so I'll admit that I have not studied these topics in detail, however I can offer a general suggestion to the people who are having trouble. I think the user community should attempt to determine if the problem is (A) limited to Calc, (B) affects other OpenOffice components such as Writer, or (C) affects other applications on the operating system that you're using. In the later case, there may be little that the OpenOffice development team can do about the problem. Based on the last post today from radeksz the problem would likely affect other O/S applications. Of course it would be most helpful if the user community could determine whether the problem is type A, B, C, or gone on the most recent level of OpenOffice (3.2.1) with any clipboard management tools disabled.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
fisher.garrett

Post by fisher.garrett »

When this happens in Calc, it SOMETIMES will unfreeze after about 5-7 minutes on my machine. When it does, voila! A lovely text box has been created where I was trying to paste some simple text into a cell. I delete the text box, paste the data into the cell, and move on. Of course - don't forget to SAVE my nearly lost hour of work every time this happens.

Sometimes, I come back to the spreadsheet and it freezes and creates this silly text box EVERY TIME on the SAME EXACT TEXT. Sometimes I have to change up the order I am pasting to come back to it so it won't freeze.

I can cut and paste monster amounts of data without ever having a problem. Its always tiny amounts of data and many times text.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit OS
ardmeijer

Post by ardmeijer »

Hello All,

This problem has been reported lots of times now over the last two years, but I see no more posts after august last year. Does anyone know if a solution has been found? I read something about turning of clipboard history tracker, who can tell me what this is and where to turn it off? Getting pretty annoyed after the x-th crash and loss of work... I have all the latest updates for both Vista and OO3.2 installed.

Thanks a lot for useful replies!

Ard
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista Business SP2 32bit
rammses

Post by rammses »

I am using 3.2.0 on 64 bit operating system, my calc was hanging constantly on copy paste and on menu operations. I've disabled the autocomplete and language check options from tools options. Now it is working quite well
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 X64
jlampe

Post by jlampe »

Definitely not fixed by Open Office Calc 3.3; the hangs happen almost every time I tried to run Calc. I'm going to try the autocomplete, language check and clipboard history suggestions next.

It's been years since I've seen a desktop application that crashes with the frequency that Calc does; I'd really like to see Calc get stable to I can avoid deploying Microsoft Office Excel except for a few business machines.
OpenOffice v3.3 on Windows 7 64-bit w/ quad cores
work: http://www.filetransferconsulting.com
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try running your computer in Safe Mode. If OpenOffice ceases to crash in that mode it isolates the problem to crosstalk from some other program or driver.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jlampe

Post by jlampe »

On Open Office Calc 3.3, here's what I did for now:
- Tools | Cell Contents: Unchecked "AutoInput"
- (couldn't find an option about clipboard history)
- (left the language spell/grammar check ON for now)

I'm moderately hopeful so far: I just copied/pasted two entire rows and no crash, then created a third and fourth row with some copying an no crash. That much activity is usually fatal to Calc.
OpenOffice v3.3 on Windows 7 64-bit w/ quad cores
work: http://www.filetransferconsulting.com
EigenFunctions

Calc 3.3.0 hang on copy paste

Post by EigenFunctions »

I have Calc 3.3.0 on Windows and it regularly hangs with copies and pastes. The only solution is to kill the program. Sometimes the recovery does not recovery everything. It only seems to happen with Calc (not Writer).

BTW - the clipboard information is always just simple text. It is even when I am cutting and pasting to the edit box on the top of the page (not just when cutting and pasting to a cell). It is often with a single cell (not necessarily with multiple cells).

Any solutions?
Thanks,
EigenFunctions
  • Aoo:
    • Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11
      AOO4111m1(Build:9808)- Rev. bdb20b2a64
      2021-09-27 07:39- Linux x86_64.
    Laptop:
    • Acer A515-51-50RR
      7.7 GiB Mem; Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4; 1 TB HDD
      Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Next time it happens check in TaskManager how many soffice processes are running. If more than 2 (soffice.bin and soffice.exe) you need to find out why. Perhaps due to noisy mouse click.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS