How to add */+- icons to the toolbar

Discuss the spreadsheet application
gogsi

How to add */+- icons to the toolbar

Post by gogsi »

1. With Excel it is very simple to place */+- or $ icons on the toolbar with tools/customize/commands/insert and use this with a mouseclick instead of typing in the cell. Have anybody an idea how to make it in calc?
2. How can I use + sign instead of = to start an algebraical operation in a cell?
3. How can I drag/move a cell with the pointer of the mouse. Where have I put the pointer?

I hope that somebody can answer these simple but very practical questions. :roll:
Greg
huw
Volunteer

Re: How to add */+- icons to the toolbar

Post by huw »

1. Do you mean a button that inserts the symbols when entering formulas, instead of you pressing the corresponding key? You could create one, but it's not as simple as Excel sounds to be.
  2. That feature is expected in the next release.
  3. By putting your mouse pointer anywhere on the black highlight - it's easier than Excel!
gogsi

Post by gogsi »

Dear Huw,

Thanks for your comments.
re icons, in calc tools/customize/toolbars it would be useful to add this symbols to the toolbars/tools list. Then, with add we could put them on the toolbar.I hope that somebody who is working on the development of new features in calc will solve this.

re + sign instead or/beside = will be great

re draging of contents of a cell is working, but only for the 2nd try .First I have to leftclick on the cell which gets a black border. until you don't start to drag it, the cell color does'nt change for black. Only when the background is already black can you drag it so it is not so simple. Its working fine if you choose severeral cells at once but it is not easy to do it with a single, or I do something wrong.
NB. I prefer calc etc not Excel!
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

gogsi wrote:re draging of contents of a cell is working, but only for the 2nd try .First I have to leftclick on the cell which gets a black border. until you don't start to drag it, the cell color does'nt change for black. Only when the background is already black can you drag it so it is not so simple. Its working fine if you choose severeral cells at once but it is not easy to do it with a single, or I do something wrong.
NB. I prefer calc etc not Excel!
To select a single cell you can either Shift-click it, or:
  1. Click on it, but don't release the mouse button
  2. Drag the mouse pointer to any adjacent cell, so they both go black, but still don't release the mouse button
  3. Drag the mouse pointer back to the first cell
  4. Finally, release the mouse button!
This second method is long-winded to describe, but very quick in practice, and I prefer it.