How to turn off formatting?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
redou

How to turn off formatting?

Post by redou »

Hello. :D

Please, can formatting be turned off in Calc Spreadsheet?
I simply want to fill in the cells and have them be.
Thank you for your time.
Redou

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply. (Acknak, Moderator)
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: How to turn off formatting?

Post by acknak »

The simplest way to get "just let me type" mode is to change the Default cell style to "Text".

Format > Styles and Formatting
Right-click on the style in the list named "Default"; choose "Modify", then Cell Format > Numbers > Category: Text, OK.

Note: Once you do that, (almost) any value you enter will be accepted as you typed it, with no changes. The down side is that all the entries will the plain text--not numeric--and as a result you will not be able to do any calculations with the values.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Jynks

Post by Jynks »

How can I turn off ALL formatting? Like every time i type in a cell it puts a capital letter on the 1st word typed... ?

I have done the above instructions...
OOo 3.3.X on Win7 64Bit
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Use the menu selection Tools > AutoCorrect Options: tab 'options'.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Again, all this has absolutely nothing to do with "formatting", no matter how you define that term.
For tabular plain text editing under Windows I recommend http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/
No need to use a 350 Megabyte office suite.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Jynks

Post by Jynks »

Villeroy wrote:Again, all this has absolutely nothing to do with "formatting", no matter how you define that term.
For tabular plain text editing under Windows I recommend http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/
No need to use a 350 Megabyte office suite.
this app dose not seam to be able to read a csv with tabs that define the coloums in the text files.. (as far as i can tell)
OOo 3.3.X on Win7 64Bit
changlee

Post by changlee »

Hello,
I made all the settings you suggested but when I am entering the values

I receive

What is that?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7 | Save your backlinks :-)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Select column, /Format /cells, Number tab, category number and set the leading 0 and decimal places in the settings there.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

this app dose not seam to be able to read a csv with tabs that define the coloums in the text files..
Yes, AOO/LO can open the TAB separated '.csv' file (its name is '.tsv' exactly : Comma or Tab Separated Values), just set the separator character to "TAB" at opening in the import filter.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There is not ONE, clickable option to switch on/off all of the automatisms of the office suite.

The Caps recognition, the Number recognition, the automatis spellcheck, the deafault settings of the predefinied Cell styles are different features of the AOO and LO. You must "switch off" (it means exactly: modify) them one by one.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

changlee wrote: 19

What is that?
The plain, unformatted numbers indicate that the import process went well. CSV does not store any formattings. Importing tabular text files into a spreadsheet (which is an arithmetic calculator) means that numeric strings need to be converted into plain, unformatted cell values.
If a cell would read "19.00" the import would have failed and the value would be a string of characters with no numeric value. If you want to import the text "19.00" (which makes no sense) you can do so by simply marking the column as text in the preview table of the import dialog.

This topic "How to turn off formatting?" is misleading because the irritating matter of fact is that csv is imported without explicit formatting. The imported values are "unformatted" which means that these values are displayed like they are are displayed when you type them manually into unformatted cells.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
changlee

Post by changlee »

Villeroy wrote:...If you want to import the text "19.00" (which makes no sense) you can do so by simply marking the column as text in the preview table of the import dialog...
Yes! That really worked :D

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7 | Save your backlinks :-)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

changlee wrote:
Villeroy wrote:...If you want to import the text "19.00" (which makes no sense) you can do so by simply marking the column as text in the preview table of the import dialog...
Yes! That really worked :D

Thanks
Now sort these values or try to do anything else which would be a typical thing to do in a spreadsheet. Did it really work?