Slow Cut/Copy in Calc from Formula Bar

Discuss the spreadsheet application
brownbat

Slow Cut/Copy in Calc from Formula Bar

Post by brownbat »

Cutting or copying text from the formula bar generally takes between 5 and 10 seconds.

Step 1: click on the formula bar.
Step 2: highlight some of the formula's contents, either with the mouse or keyboard.
Step 3: Use either ctrl-x or ctrl-c.

Behavior: calc freezes for 5-10 seconds.
Expected behavior: calc does not freeze.

This behavior occurs for me even with very simple cell contents (one letter), and while copying or cutting either the whole or even just a small part of the text (if longer than one letter). Can anyone else out there confirm?

I run 3.0.0 in XP Pro, SP3. Cutting and copying entire cells is instantaneous.

Is this a known issue? (Sorry if this has been hashed out already, my searches did not find a discussion on this issue in these forums.)
Dave

Re: Slow Cut/Copy in Calc from Formula Bar

Post by Dave »

The only issue I know of is XP. I'm using that, with a fair bit of software, yet still a ton of space to spare and housecleaning every so often, including virus checks and so on ...and my computer waits for an eternity to do almost anything now. I'll be soon restarting it entirely from scratch, dreading every moment ...if my wife doesn't get me a new Apple for Christmas, that is.

David.
brownbat

Post by brownbat »

I love a jab at Windows as much as the next guy, but I don't think that explains why the copy/cut operation just hangs in OO.o, let alone just in this one tiny corner of OO.o. Can someone else using XP (or any other OS) repeat the procedure described and confirm or deny reproducibility for me?
desmart_buka

Post by desmart_buka »

I confirm, it behaves the same way for me. WinXP Home SP3, OO.o 3.0.0 build 9358.
It makes me nuts, I have to copy hundreds of page parts translations from an xls sheet to some control panel and each time I have to wait these 6 secs...
BTW saving the sheet as .ods doesn't help. And in my case it is the same if I try to copy entire cell straight from the main view, not only from the formula input box
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
altglass

Post by altglass »

I use Windows XP Home SP3 and OOo 3.0.0 build 9358 and do not have that problem, no freezing at all.
Windows XP Home (SP3) with OOo 3.0.0
iTunes Genre Art Manager - Open source tool for customizing genre images in iTunes 8's grid view
Theobald

Post by Theobald »

I do have the exact same problem with WinXP SP2 German.
Additionally here Calc also freezes when I copy/cut text (or only a part of it) from a simple cell (no formula, default format).
I have this problem since version 1.x of OOo. and hoped version 3.0 would solve this. But the problem still exists. :(
Since then I had some clean installations of Windows XP which all did not help.
As I started to use OO more often, the problem gets really annoying.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nothing will happen to change the situation unless the problem is known to the developers.

If you can write down a set of steps--a "recipe"--for triggering the problem, and the problem can be seen on other systems beside yours, then it should get fixed.

You can try that here, and maybe we can help you clarify the description of the problem, but ultimately it has to be reported to the developers in a way that they can also see the problem. [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
Last edited by acknak on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken link
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
brownbat

Post by brownbat »

"If you can write down a set of steps--a "recipe"--for triggering the problem, and the problem can be seen on other systems beside yours, then it should get fixed."

The first post in the thread contains that series of steps for reproducibility, and subsequent posts in this thread show others with different systems confirming this behavior. This issue seems most similar (but still a bit different) to Issue 94267.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + Vista, Ubuntu
harryshepard

Post by harryshepard »

2 years later, still having this issue. Quite ridiculous really. Simple copy from a cell or the formula bar just totally hangs calc for 10 seconds. I'm trying to copy hundreds of cells and it's taking ages with it hanging for so long. Click ctrl c alt tab ctrl v should take about 2 seconds but it's ending up taking 15 because of the massive lag
I don't want a signature thank you very much. Windows 7 64 bit OoenOffice 3.2
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

harryshepard wrote:2 years later, still having this issue. Quite ridiculous really. Simple copy from a cell or the formula bar just totally hangs calc for 10 seconds. I'm trying to copy hundreds of cells and it's taking ages with it hanging for so long. Click ctrl c alt tab ctrl v should take about 2 seconds but it's ending up taking 15 because of the massive lag
I haven't experienced this problem from the time I started using Calc about three years ago ...
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
harryshepard

Post by harryshepard »

Well for me it's doing it for every cell regardless of what's inside it. Plain text fields (non formula/url) included. Completely unusable when it's doing this. Completely fresh install of the whole laptop as well. New hard disks. Even netbeans is flying now
I don't want a signature thank you very much. Windows 7 64 bit OoenOffice 3.2
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Just started using CALC and this problem is HUGE for me! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: , It seems odd that people are experiencing this to varying degrees, is it a hardware or software problem?, I would love to hear any solutions
windows 7, open office 2.1
pwnb0t

Post by pwnb0t »

This is happening to me on OO 3.2 on MacOS 10.6

The formula to make it happen is very simple, just select some cells and cmd+c

Obviously this bug isn't happening to everyone, so I don't know how to make it start happening for anyone.

Is there a settings file that I could try removing to see if that helps?
Is there anything else related to copy/cut/paste in any settings or anything that might have an effect?
OpenOffice 3.2 on MacOS 10.6
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can try starting with a fresh OOo settings profile: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile
radeksz

Post by radeksz »

Try disabling clipboard tracker/manager if you use any. My Launchbar was keeping track of all copy/cut events and it was freezing/hanging openoffice for 1 minute. Disabling clipboard  history in Launchbar helped.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on MacOS 10.6
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

I see that there are several of these topics about performance problems using Cut/Copy/Paste.

Topic 3679
Topic 12981
Topic 20419

I'm not experiencing the problem so I'll admit that I have not studied these topics in detail, however I can offer a general suggestion to the people who are having trouble. I think the user community should attempt to determine if the problem is (A) limited to Calc, (B) affects other OpenOffice components such as Writer, or (C) affects other applications on the operating system that you're using. In the later case, there may be little that the OpenOffice development team can do about the problem. Based on the last post today from radeksz the problem would likely affect other O/S applications. Of course it would be most helpful if the user community could determine whether the problem is type A, B, C, or gone on the most recent level of OpenOffice (3.2.1) with any clipboard management tools disabled.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
stargot

Post by stargot »

I wanted to move all the users from Office 2002 to OpenOffice.
For that I went to see the Excel Guru guy of the company in order to test Open Office with a XLS file of 30 MB / 30 sheets / a lot of formula.
I have tuned Open Office following all recommendations I could find and it helps on Windows 7

The results are:
- To slow / hang a long time on Windows XP
- Work best on Windows 7 but still slow (new computer)
- a Cell modification cause a delay of 15 sec on OpenOffice (new computer) while there is no delay at all on Excel 2002 (Calculation active on both sides) (old computer)
- Open Office is slower to open a document (Tried in XLS & ODS format 3 minutes) (Excel 1 minutes)
- A slight delay when switching sheets.

Hoping this feedback help

If you want I can email you the 4 Mb ODS file for testing purpose.
windows XP/7
open office 3.2.1
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

If you want I can email you the 4 Mb ODS file for testing purpose
Thanks and welcome to the forum, but It might be more useful if you could upload the file to a file sharing host such as MediaFire.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

... in order to test Open Office with a XLS file of 30 MB / 30 sheets / a lot of formula.
If you test OOo this way, you're likely to get the wrong answer.

OOo is not a "free replacement" for MS Office. MS Office is far more robust and mature in many important areas, perhaps most of all in large or complex spreadsheets. If that's what you use MS Office for, the OOo is not going to be a good substitute.

The other side of the issue is that most people do not use MS Office like that; all they need are simple documents and spreadsheets, and for them, OOo is just fine.

Many people doing migrations move everyone but a few "power" users to OOo, and the others continue using MS Office.