[Issue] No Graphic In Spreadsheet Header

Discuss the spreadsheet application
alddu

[Issue] No Graphic In Spreadsheet Header

Post by alddu »

Frustrated Here! I use MS Excel to create invoices at times. We put a company logo (a graphic and/or image - a .jpg file) in the header on left side. My notebook (also WinXP OS) only has OpenOffice on it and not MSOffice. I go to open that same MS Excel sheet with Oo CALC and maybe edit it or even just look at it, and our logo in the header does not appear! I also cannot insert the .jpg file (our logo) using CALC because there does not exist an option to insert a graphic or picture when creating headers. Something Oo creators overlooked in designing this? I'm sure you can insert graphics in headers with Oo Write but I'm trying to use CALC because I use that for these particular invoices. Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 31, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Dave

Re: CALC - Graphic In Header

Post by Dave »

So, it doesn't work as we wish [I'd like to see it as well], but you have a choice. Either pay for and use Excel, or take more steps. You can print the header on several sheets then print the Calc file on them on a second run, allowing top margin depth to account for the header. People spend real money getting the pre-printed paper of their choice for their own further use [e.g. Christmas paper with a border, or decorative paper for letters etc.] Think of it as having a supply of blank paper with you logo already on it.

EDIT: Can you not insert a spreadsheet as an OLE object into Writer. A little extra effort, but then you'd have what you need, I think.

David.
alddu

Post by alddu »

Thank you Dave, I appreciate the help. I'm also curious to know why Oo creators didn't put that feature of adding images and/or graphics into the headers? Is it a legal issue or a technical issue that makes it difficult to put in? - just wondering if anyone out there knows why? Thanks again.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Some hints here: Graphics in Calc headers.

There should be something on the Issue tracker I guess (see [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

This problem is a bit of a mess, as there are several open issues dealing with this.

Some claim the problem is solved; it isn't. There is a workaround for including a graphic in the page format, but it's not a very good solution.

Issue 8664: header or footer do not support images (logos), viz non textual format
Issue 35134: Can't insert graphic into header
Issue 43985: Graphics inside header has wrong scale
Issue 83767: Spreadhseet Header Containing Company Logo
You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.

I guess if I were voting, I'd vote for 8664 since it was the first one filed, but 83767 has a more comprehensive proposal.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
alddu

Re: [Issue] CALC - Graphic In Header

Post by alddu »

I'm glad this is getting attention and placed with the 'Issue' status. Simply put, I've always been used to MS Excel having this feature that Oo Calc does not. (this below is the explanation from MS Excel help website on how to simply insert a graphic into the header or even a footer of an excel document).

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel ... 0034531033

Can Oo Calc not also have the same feature? I know I'm a simpleton, but many who use these office applications are simpletons and like the user-friendly features. Again, Thank you to all who make these programs available to us at no cost.
mriosv
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] CALC - Graphic In Header

Post by mriosv »

Could be a good workaround or near a solution, put the image as background of the Header/Footer.
Menu/Format/Page/Header/More/BackgroundAs-Graphic
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate