Ooo 3.1 eats too much RAM?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
cpc

Ooo 3.1 eats too much RAM?

Post by cpc »

I have a Duo Core 1.73GHz CPU and 1.5GB RAM in my laptop, but Ooo 3.1 always takes more than 5 minutes to open a 8.3MB .ods file, after that, I find the RAM is used about 850MB and the SWAP is used from zero to about 250MB by Ooo 3.1.

Why does Ooo 3.1 waste so much resource? and is there any tweak to fix it? thanks for reply.
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Ooo 3.1 eats too much RAM?

Post by squenson »

An ods file is a zip file. Make a copy of it, rename it with zip extension and look inside the archive file. You will see that your real file is much, much bigger. This partially explain the difference. Also, to optimize its speed, Calc may not use RAM in the most compressed way, but who cares in those days where 4GB of RAM cost less than a dinner at a restaurant?
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
cpc

Post by cpc »

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/sour ... qs_30.html

You can learn that the RAM required for OpenOffice.org 3 is 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB RAM recommended), and I have much more RAM in my laptop than that recommended.

I think Sun Microsystems, Inc. should add one more limitation to the System Requirements:

"Don't open file bigger than ??? MB"
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Dave

Post by Dave »

squenson wrote:but who cares in those days where 4GB of RAM cost less than a dinner at a restaurant?
Hey, I care! My first car, a 1950 Chev, cost me $50. Today, I've paid twice that for a dinner with my wife at fine restaurant.

Seriously, I don't beef too often, but one big beef I've had with spreadsheets for decades is that they present a HUGE amount of room for data and formulas and images, and ..., but you need a supercomputer to use all of that efficiently. That not being so, then it really is a pipe dream, and so really is not as available as first thought.

"I saw a man upon a stair, a little man who wasn't there. I saw him there again today. Gee, I wish he'd go away."

I have similar thought about the ability to convert or save in various formats [all spreadsheets suggest that they can do this without problem until there is a problem.] It's only partly true. That being so, it isn't true... "Only the first page can be saved.", "Some formatting will be lost."... .

David.