All my text is underlined in red

Discuss the word processor
ziesemer

Re: All my text is underlined in red

Post by ziesemer »

I was having the same issue with a clean install of 3.0 beta 2 (build 9328) under Windows XP.

juanon's solution posted above on 2008-08-06 fixed things for me.

Regarding issue 92255 in the issue tracker: This seems to be written specifically to the UK. The topic of this thread, however, appears to be specific to US English, and as juanon described, appears to be the result of 2 missing files (en_US.dic and en_US.aff) in the supplied extension ("English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus", version 20051213). I'm thinking a new issue should be opened to address this specific issue?

Based on other comments here, it appears that some users upgrading from an existing version don't run into the issue. If this issue doesn't get properly tracked and receive some attention, I foresee it becoming much more visible as more users start downloading the 3.0 version and discover that spell checking is "broken".

Also, linking to http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... f=6&t=8029 ("OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management") mostly for my reference as it's a lot of related discussion.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

ziesemer wrote:Regarding issue 92255 in the issue tracker: This seems to be written specifically to the UK. The topic of this thread, however, appears to be specific to US English,
I make no assumptions about where the people who post here are from, since not everyone supplies theirfo location details. Because the missing-files approach wasn't working for everyone, I saw this issue as quite a likely alternative, at least worth exploring.
ziesemer wrote:Based on other comments here, it appears that some users upgrading from an existing version don't run into the issue. If this issue doesn't get properly tracked and receive some attention, I foresee it becoming much more visible as more users start downloading the 3.0 version and discover that spell checking is "broken".
It seems more people don't run into the issue than do. It's certainly not "broken" on my Vista machine. I didn't upgrade that beta, I did a clean install. No problems on XP either, but I did upgrade that installation from Beta1 to Beta2.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
jim.mack

Post by jim.mack »

I have similar problems with dictionary and thesaurus. The posts above solved my dictionary issue, but I am still having trouble with the thesaurus. A clue (?) that I didn't see mentioned is that I can switch my language, in the thesaurus dialog box, from English (USA) to English (UK) and it works as expected.

My dictionaries.xcu contains

Code: Select all

<node oor:name="ThesDic_en-US" oor:op="fuse">
            <prop oor:name="Locations" oor:type="oor:string-list">
                <value>%origin%/th_en_US_v2.dat</value>
            </prop>
            <prop oor:name="Format" oor:type="xs:string">
                <value>DICT_THES</value>
            </prop>
            <prop oor:name="Locales" oor:type="oor:string-list">
                <value>en-US en-ZA en-GB</value>
            </prop>
        </node>
Which seems to link the locale to the thesaurus. Is there someplace else to check?
OOo 3.0.X on Linux-Other + WindowXP
insight spinner

Post by insight spinner »

Just noting that I had the same problem installing this morning. I have Win XP SP2 and have OO2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 and 3.0 beta 1 in place when I installed. 3.0 beta 2 replaced 3.0 beta 1 which I have been using with only minor issues noted in Impress and Writer to date, but didn't want to report for beta 1 now that beta 2 is out there. I had put off installing beta 2, which I had previously downloaded, but I finally re-downloaded yesterday, installed this morning and have the same problem with the auto-spellcheck in English US.

I went to the cited issue 92255 and left a comment there. I think this may be more prevalent than some comments here seem to think. I think anyone who downloads the beta out of curiosity and finds this state of affairs would simply return to the stable version and wait for this to be resolved. Certainly, even for beta use, no one would rely upon their own spelling to accept or reject items and only very motivated users would wade through these forums to find the issue solutions posted here.

So yeah, it needs looking into.

I wanted to check the functions I was having trouble with in Impress, but for now, have real work to accomplish and can't spend the time to trouble shoot, so will go back to 2.41 for now.
Last edited by insight spinner on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RC1 has been released yesterday, you should try it.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
insight spinner

Hmmm...I downloaded my link yesterday...so it should have been fresh...help a sistah out with the RC1, please -- meaning more definitional info or a link. I don't understand what the acronym means.

Thanks in advance.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RC1 is for the first release candidate of 3.0: OpenOffice 3.0 schedule?
insight spinner

Hagar de l'Est wrote:RC1 is for the first release candidate of 3.0: OpenOffice 3.0 schedule?
Thanks...I'll try that.
pitonyak
Volunteer

Post by pitonyak »

I have had the problem a few times. This time I chose to find and fix the problem. I posted my solution here:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... a&start=30

Your mileage may vary. My post is on page 4...
Andrew Pitonyak
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
LO and AOO on Fedora
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

@ (especially) pauliw25 & juanon: I've found out that there is in fact another linguistic.xcu file in the user profile (similar to the one in the main installation folder, I should have thought about that!).

See my update here. Perhaps that one must be edited. Mine looks like that (only for the en-US spell check section), make sure paths are correct:

Code: Select all

<node oor:name="HunSpellDic_en-US" oor:op="fuse">
    <prop oor:name="Format" oor:type="xs:string">
     <value>DICT_SPELL</value>
    </prop>
    <prop oor:name="Locales" oor:type="oor:string-list">
     <value>en-US</value>
    </prop>
    <prop oor:name="Locations" oor:type="oor:string-list">
     <value>vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/QXbWvG_/dict-en.oxt/en_US.aff vnd.sun.star.expand:$UNO_USER_PACKAGES_CACHE/uno_packages/QXbWvG_/dict-en.oxt/en_US.dic</value>
    </prop>
   </node>
GaryLesperance

Post by GaryLesperance »

I had the same problem after I installed an "update" of Beta 3.0. I discovered that the "update" actually installed another full copy of Beta 3.0 in Windows. I uninstalled both copies, then reinstalled from the original release and the red underlining problem was solved.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

GaryLesperance wrote:I had the same problem after I installed an "update" of Beta 3.0. I discovered that the "update" actually installed another full copy of Beta 3.0 in Windows. I uninstalled both copies, then reinstalled from the original release and the red underlining problem was solved.
Betas always install in parallel. "Update" is just typical language; it doesn't actually apply to betas. Glad your problem was solved!! :D
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit