Arrows reset every time I save a document

Discuss the word processor
gramozeka

Arrows reset every time I save a document

Post by gramozeka »

Hello,

I have a document about 20 pages. Inside the document I have text, lists and pictures. Every picture has a text box near it and an arrow pointing form the text box to the particular part on the picture. Some times when I reopen all the arrows in the document move all the way to the right. Some times they just loose their assignment and move to the back of the picture and become invisible. I obviously can not check the whole document every time before printing and do all the adjustments manually. Please suggest what could be going wrong.

P.S. If I try to import the document to *.doc all the arrows just crush at the bottom of the page when opened in word.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
gramozeka

Re: Arrows reset every time I save a document

Post by gramozeka »

I just changed everything manually and saved the file. and instead of 20 pages I only have 4 and all the pictures and arros and textboxes are just dumped and the bottom of the 3rd page.

Actually when I try to open the document as it is opens on the bottom left corner it shows page 1/21 but quickly changes to 1/4

WTF?
acknak

Post by acknak »

What format are you saving the document as? Are you using ODF Text Document (OOo native format), or are you saving as .doc?

How are you inserting the graphics?

If you're trying to make diagrams in Writer by inserting multiple objects, then I suggest that instead you create the diagram in Draw, then copy/paste it into Writer as a single object. You can do the same within Writer of course, but Draw gives better features and operation when creating figures.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Better group all the shapes together also if you don't want to go the Draw way.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gramozeka

Post by gramozeka »

To acknak:

What format are you saving the document as? Are you using ODF Text Document (OOo native format), or are you saving as .doc?

I did both ways and both ways the document got screwed up. I have a 4 page doc and a 4 page odt

How are you inserting the graphics?

I insert pictures through insert > picture > from file
I insert arrows from, actually arrows I just copy & paste. The original file long time ago was a doc, So arrows came from MS Word.

To Hagar:

For some reason I can not select Picture, arrows, text box as a group.?

Right now my problem is why did Writer turn my 20 page document in to 4 pages?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gramozeka wrote:For some reason I can not select Picture, arrows, text box as a group.?
Right. You've to insert the pic in Draw and then paste it in Writer so that it's considered as a graphical shape. But you can also keep the pic as it is in Writer and group only the shapes.

Can you upload the document here (see here: How to attach a document here)? See in web mode (View>Web Layout) if you see the all content. If there has been a .doc export phase, it may have introduce tables or frames that are bigger than the pages.
gramozeka

Post by gramozeka »

It is too late now to redo all the pictures. But I will keep your advice for the future, however it seems very inconvenient to have to insert every pic in draw and then in to writer.

In my whole document I can not select multiple objects... like two pictures or two arrows or two text boxes.

Unfortunately I can not upload the document because it is confidential. I know this complicates any further troubleshooting but any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gramozeka wrote:It is too late now to redo all the pictures. But I will keep your advice for the future, however it seems very inconvenient to have to insert every pic in draw and then in to writer.

In my whole document I can not select multiple objects... like two pictures or two arrows or two text boxes.
I agree.
Note that you can also copy the pic, paste it in Draw, copy again and paste it back to Writer, easier if the pic is already in the document.
gramozeka wrote:Unfortunately I can not upload the document because it is confidential.
Have you tried the web layout mode? Do you see the 'lost' data? See also in the Navigator (F5) if you've sections. If so, try to delete them (right click, Edit and delete all the sections in the dialog).