[Solved] Formatting a drama (line numbering)

Discuss the word processor
dagoss

[Solved] Formatting a drama (line numbering)

Post by dagoss »

I'm using OOo 2.4. Most of the work is being done with Ubuntu 8.x, but some of it is also being done with XP and Vista (still using OOo 2.4). I apologize for the length of this question.

This is my thesis project; I'm editing an obscure English Renaissance play. I've done something like this twice in the past and both times I had a devil of a time formatting the thing. Here is how it is set up right now: each scene is a table divided into 4 columns. The first column contains the line numbers (entered manually so as to skip blank spaces and stage directions); the second column is the stage prefix (person speaking); the third is the actual text of the play; the fourth contains marginal glosses.

I have two main problems:

There are two types of text: prose and verse. Paragraph styles are not helpful with verse because the return character at the end of each line causes each line to be read as a paragraph. If I could make OOo treat such blocks of text as a unit, I could using a hanging indent which would eliminate the need to separate prefixes and dialogue, and I might be able to get away with using OOo's built in line numbering feature.

The biggest problem by far with my current format is the line numbers. This play was printed 17 times and I am using the 3rd quarto as a copy-text. When I need to incorporate lines from a different text, I use a note that is placed at the end of the play (currently in a separate document) to indicate the line number, the new text, and the original text. (I am trying to format everything to mimic <i>The Norton Shakespeare</i>, so I use their style of notes.) There will be one of these notes, on average, every ten lines, so if one line moves, all notes notes for that scene will be wrong. I suspect that there is nothing I can do about this other than individually verify that every note points to the correct line.

So I guess you could say that the way this project is currently organized is difficult to maintain. I'd like to find a way to make it easier to keep everything intact so that I can concentrate more on the content rather than the formatting. Any ideas, even the smallest thing, might make a huge difference.

I attached an in-progress version of part of the play to show how it is currently formatted.
Attachments
prologue.odt
(21.33 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Last edited by dagoss on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Ideas for formatting a drama

Post by Hagar Delest »

dagoss wrote:There are two types of text: prose and verse. Paragraph styles are not helpful with verse because the return character at the end of each line causes each line to be read as a paragraph. If I could make OOo treat such blocks of text as a unit, I could using a hanging indent which would eliminate the need to separate prefixes and dialogue, and I might be able to get away with using OOo's built in line numbering feature.
Have you tried the line feed (SHIFT+Enter)? New lines are still part of the paragraph.

Need some additional time for your second question.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dagoss

Post by dagoss »

Ah, that works (but I think line feed is SHIFT+ENTER; CTRL seems to break pages). Is there a way that I can change existing linebreaks to do this? I suspect that my only option would be to go through the entire document and replace each and everyone manually.

(of course, this is still good to know for future reference).
Last edited by dagoss on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Post by acknak »

... the return character at the end of each line causes each line to be read as a paragraph.
Shift+Enter will insert a line break without starting a new paragraph.

I strongly recommend that you work out a series of good styles and then use them; it's the only way to create a consistently-formatted document when you're faced with some uncertainly about the formatting. Once you have a document based on styles, you can tweak the style definitions as needed without too much hassle.

E.g., you can set a particular style to not participate in line numbering.

I don't know about using the table or not--there are pros and cons either way. You may have to try both strategies and see how each works out.
When I need to incorporate lines from a different text, I use a note that is placed at the end of the play (currently in a separate document) to indicate the line number, the new text, and the original text.
I think you ought to be able to use OOo's line numbering, except for this. As far as I know, there's no way to refer to the line number of a bookmark or other point in the text. You can cite the chapter and/or page where a bookmark is found, but not the line number--at least I don't know how to do it.

Of course, it would still be easier to form the notes entering the line numbers by hand, if the line numbers in the text were provided automatically. As long as you left that until the absolute last step, they should not have to be changed.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dagoss

Post by dagoss »

I don't know about using the table or not--there are pros and cons either way. You may have to try both strategies and see how each works out.
One reason I haven't been able to eliminate the table entirely is because of the glosses. A table is the only way that I know of to keep them in the right place (but see below).
I think you ought to be able to use OOo's line numbering, except for this. As far as I know, there's no way to refer to the line number of a bookmark or other point in the text. You can cite the chapter and/or page where a bookmark is found, but not the line number--at least I don't know how to do it.
OOo's numbering doesn't seem to count lines within tables. I would use it, but I need to get rid of the table first.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Right for the SHIFT+Enter, I have modified my post when you were replying.

For the line numbering and the indent, you've to use a paragraph style with a positive indent for text and negative for first line and hit TAB key after the name of the character. Set that paragraph style to be counted in line numbering and set the Default style to be not counted. Then active the line numbering in Tools menu (see end of attached document).

The problem with the table is that it removes the automatic line numbering. You can use frames instead of the right column.
Attachments
prologue - Hagar.odt
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
dagoss

Post by dagoss »

Thank you Hagar; that solved almost everything, and I managed to solve many more issues by reading some of OOo Authors.

ASIDE: Masterdocuments freezes whenever I try to add documents, or pretty much doing anything with them. This happens on both of my computers and on computers at the university library. Is this a known issue with OOo 2.4?

I attached a sample of the revised format thus far. From a completely subjective point of view -- do you think it's attractive?
Attachments
example.odt
(14.96 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
acknak

Re: [Solved] Ideas for formatting a drama

Post by acknak »

Here's a shot at doing it without the table. I forgot that text in a table can't be numbered--too bad.

BTW, does anyone else find that the last part of the text in the original file is cut off at the bottom instead of flowing over to the last page?

Any idea why? I couldn't find where the problem was.
Attachments
prologue_no_table.odt
(15.46 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dagoss

Post by dagoss »

acknak wrote:BTW, does anyone else find that the last part of the text in the original file is cut off at the bottom instead of flowing over to the last page?

Any idea why? I couldn't find where the problem was.
Do you mean that the page keeps going down past the bottom margin rather than spilling on to the next page? I've also seen that happen, but I have no idea why. Closing and reloading writer usually fixes it. I've also seen tables leaving a full page blank, despite being flagged to break across pages. Again reloading usually fixes it. It might have something to do with the way I was using tables?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:BTW, does anyone else find that the last part of the text in the original file is cut off at the bottom instead of flowing over to the last page?
+1. Had not seen this.
I guess that OOo gets confused with too long cells. If I add a row to split the cell, the text flows correctly then.
dagoss wrote:From a completely subjective point of view -- do you think it's attractive?
I like acknak's file better :mrgreen:
-> The indenting is the same (when the name is long in your document, there is an additionnal indent
-> The name can be aligned right, next to the text with a dedicated tab stop (aligned right)
-> Frames are smaller (don't distract too much) and closer to the text (less effort to get to the frame)
-> Page width is better used (you lose a lot of space).

For your master document issue, you should create another thread. But it shouldn't freeze. Put as much details as possible (if they contain lot of objects like pics, frames, ...) Objects should not be anchored to the page BTW.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
dagoss

Post by dagoss »

I'm just full of issues:

Line numbering needs to restart each section (whenever a Heading 2 appears) without breaking pages. I'm not sure to do this.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Right click the paragraph, select Paragraph and in the Numbering tab, check the Line Numbering>Restart numbering option.
dagoss

Re: [Solved] Formatting a drama (line numbering)

Post by dagoss »

I made a style linked with the style for the rest of the text to use for the first lines of a scene, that way the heading doesn't get included in the numbers. Now I'm getting fancy!

Just in case no one has told you recently, Hagar, you are like the must useful person who has ever lived in the history of mankind. Plus you're helping to bring this horrible play to the masses (e.g. my poor thesis director who will have to read it)
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Formatting a drama (line numbering)

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thanks, glad to have helped :D