[Solved] Headers/Footers ... Formatting

Discuss the word processor
katherine.gaskins

[Solved] Headers/Footers ... Formatting

Post by katherine.gaskins »

Goal:
The goal is to have a header on only the first page, with different margins on the first page than on each successive page in a single document.

I wish to use letterhead style on first page, with 1" r/l margins and 0.25" top/0.5" bottom margins on the first page. Header should appear on first page only. Footer, usually page numbers (eg., 1 of 5), should appear in footer of each page, including the first page. Second page and each page thereafter should have 1" top and l/r margins, with no letterhead header at the top. Footer and footer margins should remain the same throughout the entire document.

Initial Actions:
I have tried to follow your instructions explicitly, by setting up a Page 1 style, with margins and header as described above, and a Page 2 style, again with the margins for page 2, as described, above. It is my understanding that only the page format for the second page should change to the Page 2 style, if my cursor is in page 2 and I am clicking the Page 2 style in the Styles & Formatting dropdown box. My goal was to use the Page 2 style for every page that is not the first or letterhead page.

Problem:
After inputting text, whenever I go to second page and click "Page 2" style, the entire document reverts to the 1" top & l/r margins and I lose the header on the first page. I have tried highlighting the text that should conform to the Page 2 style, but that does nothing at all.

I have found the same to be true in the the StarOffice Writer, as well. It is my understanding that every single page could have a different header, using your page Styles & Formatting feature, a little more complicated, but similar to the old AmiPro.

Please help! This is a big problem and is causing me to have to save the first page of my documents as a separate word processing file.

Thank you,
Katherine
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: Headers/Footers ... Formatting

Post by Caracalla »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There's two things you can do.
You can set a page break between the first page and the rest of them.
Or, you can set the first style to be followed by the second style, this can be done on the control tab of the style dialog.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
katherine.gaskins

Post by katherine.gaskins »

Thank you, Ms. C.

Setting the Page 2 style to follow the Page 1 style in the control tab of the style dialog worked well. Thank you! You have saved me.

Katherine
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

katherine.gaskins wrote:Thank you, Ms. C.
Mr, please :)
and you're welcome.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1