[Solved] Spell check not working in 3.4.1

Discuss the word processor
rpmayhugh

[Solved] Spell check not working in 3.4.1

Post by rpmayhugh »

I am not convinced this issue is solved. I have the same problem as of this morning 08:00 EDT, 2 Sep 2012. I had had no changes to system in several days (since last Java update), just shut down for the overnight. In both writer and CALC, everything except all upper-case acronyms is marked misspelled.
I have re-installed 3.4.1 from a new download, which has made matters worse. There is now no English dictionary in my extensions list, and if I try to install dict-en.oxt from C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\share\extensions\install or en_US.oxt from internet, get file open errors.
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 Windows XP Pro, version 2002, Service Pack 3
Hagar Delest

Re: Spell check not working in 3.4.1

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Since the topic where you have posted has been solved, then, it's different. I've split your post.

What do you mean by "get file open errors"? Do you go to the extension manager and click the Add button then select that file? Perhaps you should copy and paste it in another place than Program files/... to install the extension.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rpmayhugh

Post by rpmayhugh »

Only way I know to show what's happening is with pix. Don't know all the forum rules yet, so not sure how many pix I can put up before getting everyone upset.
When I re-installed 3.4.1 (or 3.4.0, which I did try to go back to), I started through the troubleshooting guide tutorial. When I got to the check of the extension manager, got this:
Image, Chose Add...
Image, Selected .oxt file
Image, Selected Open
Image, Selected For All Users and got...

Downloading the en_US.oxt dictionary and trying to install it from another directory:
Image, gave me the same end result.

At least a couple times, the error message that came up referred to missing files in uno_packages, but I didn't get screenshots and cannot now remember which dictionary caused that error. I cannot seem to duplicate that either. I do have full administrator rights on the system.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar, do you know what's going on with the new Apache releases, as far as spelling dictionaries?

Where for some time over many releases from Sun/Oracle, the spelling dictionaries appeared as installed extensions, I no longer see that with either of the Apache releases. And when I download and install an additional dictionary, it comes as a binary package that gets installed at the system level and still does not appear under the extension manager.

Do you see this on Windows, too? Or maybe it's only for Linux.

PS: Oops. NO, I see that the add-on dictionary is there now. Maybe I just needed to re-start OOo for it to show up?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@acknak: I did an install of AOO 3.4.1 (en-GB) on a netbook (for travel usage) from which I had removed the older versions; I see that it has installed an English (en-GB) dictionary. It picked up my locale as Ireland and set options accordingly; spellcheck failed on a test file. I changed these to English UK (/Tools /Options / Language settings /Languages, for those who don't know) and it immediately found the few deliberate errors.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have done a completely fresh install on AOO 3.4.1 en-GB on a Windows machine (every trace of previous installs removed). It installs an en-GB dictionary and picks up my locale correctly. I needed to change to English-UK from English-Ireland for spellcheck to work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

rpmayhugh, due to company policy, I can't see your pics. See How to attach a document here. The last screenshot with the error message is the most important. But it seems there is a problem with the installation of the extension indeed. It's not normal of course, perhaps you should remove AOO, clean the registry (CCleaner for example) and reinstall.

acknak, I've unsubscribed the dev mailing list so I'm not aware of recent changes regarding the dics extensions. But it should be quite the same: extensions are provided inside the installer and installed automatically during installation (in [C:\Program Files]\OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages). Sometimes you need to restart AOO to see the new extensions in the Extension manager but I don't need to do so under Windows (nor under Ubuntu IIRC).
Under Ubuntu, I install new dics with the extensions and not at system level (since I don't use the repositories).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rpmayhugh

Post by rpmayhugh »

Found the fix for the original problem, which was all words marked as misspelled, at http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 426#p58403. Since I no longer need to try to install the dictionary -- it now appears in extension manager and works -- I think I now consider this issue solved.

Thanks Hagar, and all who contributed to this thread.

rpm