[Issue] Spellingcheck does not check spelling

Discuss the word processor
cjm51213

[Issue] Spellingcheck does not check spelling

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Folks,

Sorry to raise this old chestnut. I followed the "Spellcheck Troubleshooter" (Kudos on the idea.) and stopped at step 2. I do not see the blue check in the "Languages" dialog. I have exited all OO applications and confirmed with the Windows Task Manager that no openoffice processes were running. I restarted and still have no blue check mark.

I notice that Tools > Language shows a check mark for English in only one case: "selection". "Paragraph" and "All Text" have no check mark and I am unable to put on there.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows Server 2008r2, Windows 7, Fedora 16
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Spellingcheck does not check spelling

Post by thomasjk »

Did you follow all of the steps in the Tutorial? Try resetting the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426. But first go through all the steps in the Spell Check Troubleshooting Tutorial http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=16512
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Tom,

You must have miss where I said that I reviewed the troubleshooter and stopped at step 2 because the symptoms were not cleared by following the recommended steps. It is an easy mistake to make. However, I was not aware of resetting the user profile, and I investigated this. I looked at RegistryModifications.xcu and I found something that is clearly a bug. I notice this entry:

Code: Select all

<item oor:path="/org.openoffice.Office.Common/Internal">
<prop oor:name="CurrentTempURL" oor:op="fuse">
<value>file:///C:/Users/sa/AppData/Local/Temp/1/sv2bq6c3.tmp</value>
</prop>
</item>
Please notice the path which looks harmless and correct on its face but it is completely wrong, so one of the developers has made an assumption that is not valid and this should be registered. "File:///C:/.." is wrong since I am using roaming profiles with redirected folders. The correct preamble to this path should be "file://tclc.org/..." which is the name of the DFS share. This entry is RESET each time I invoke Writer, meaning it is not clear where this mistake is.

Does anybody know where this value lives so I can change it?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I did not miss that you stopped at Step 2. I asked if went through all the steps. I can't help with file path issue you describe but I recommend the nuclear option to reset the profile in the link I posted.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

cjm51213 wrote:I do not see the blue check in the "Languages" dialog.
The blue check mark is an indicator that a language module is available. With no blue check mark, there is no language module available to be used by Spellcheck and Spellcheck will fail.
cjm51213 wrote:I notice that Tools > Language shows a check mark for English in only one case: "selection". "Paragraph" and "All Text" have no check mark and I am unable to put on there.
The check mark in Tools > Language > Selection has nothing to do with the language module needed by Spellcheck. It is only an indicator of the language of the currently selected text.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Tom,

Please forgive any misspellings in this post. I wrote it in OpenOffice ....

As you suggested, I have completed all the steps in the troubleshooter.. It hasn't add anything new.:

Do you see the dictionary extension with your language?
Yes

Do you see the blue check mark in the general settings panel?
No. I closed all documents, verified that no openoffice processes were running, and restarted. This had no effect. There is no HunSpell option, and this is probably a point I should have highlighted originally, since it seems pretty important...

Do you see the correct language (with the blue check mark) for Default paragraph style?
No. The more general case is failing, so this more specific test also fails.

Is the spell checking button highlighted in the toolbar?
Yes.

Is the language the correct one?
Yes. Everyplace a language is displayed, it is the language I need.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Bill,

That sounds reasonable. This is a brand new installation (yesterday) and I was pretty confident that this is probably something missing in the packaging. So, where and how do I get a "language module" and shouldn't that have been part of the installation?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Folks,

I discovered and downloaded a "Language Pack", and I discover that it has had no effect. So, my earlier criticism that the full installation should have a language pack was probably unfounded, since it now looks like it probably did. I think the problem is that I have no HunSpell option. How and where do I find this?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No need to go through all the steps indeed. I've made it so that if there is a wrong item, the following are irrelevant if that one is not fixed.

Try to remove the dictionary extension and reinstall it. You should get it in the /program files/OpenOffice.org3/share/extensions/install.
Language pack is more for the UI. To get new dictionaries, you've to go to the extensions page. See the detailed topic linked at the top of the troubleshooting guide. But first try to reinstall the extension that should be already in the installation folder.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is probable that older Language Packs (for OOo 3.3 and earlier) do not work correctly with AOO 3.4. More Language Packs will be available for AOO 3.4.1 (targetted for end July). Which precise variety of English do you require to spellcheck? Spellcheck is sensitive to the precise variety of English in use,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Hagar,

Yes. I thought that was probably true, and it has been born out in this case. I notice that tools > options > Language Settings > writing aids has a text box which I would expect to show my current language, and it is blank. So the observation that I don't have a language pack is looking more and more correct. I installed a presumably complete kit yesterday and a separate language pack this morning, and so something is amiss...

I re-installed both en_US.oxt and dict-en.oxt, restarted writer and I see no improvment...

I found where the path was being set incorrectly and I fixed that, which has also NOT solved this mystery.

Any more suggestions? Thanks for help.

Chris.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you see the Hunspell Spellcheck entry in the Writing aids?
What wrong path are you talking about? If you're talking about the path you mentioned, I guess that it's for the temporary files of the session so there is no point touching it.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This may be a bug related to roaming profiles, but that's not something I would be able to confirm. I haven't found a bug report for OpenOffice, but did find this for LibreOffice:

Bug 48017 -LibreOffice Language Modules disappear with Roaming Profile
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Hagar,

I see no evidence of HunSpell in "Writing aids" or otherwise, and my efforts to find it on the net have failed. I find only a source distribution and I have no development tools on my windows systems. I believe this is a very strong clue (-:

The path I mentioned is indeed for temporary files and I have discovered where it is set and I have changed it. This must be reported because there is a minor bug there. I will report this someone will tell me how.

Thanks for your help...

Chris.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No need to report it, it's not a bug. Close OOo and the quickstarter, check your registrymodification.xcu, there is no value for the internal item. Close it, launch OOo and create a new document, you'll see a temporary folder.

So you don't see the following entry:
Writing aids.png
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Hagar,

Yes, you're right. You see the temporary folder, but it is wrong. The path SHOULD have been "\\TCLC.org\User\..." but it WAS "C:\Users\...". Regardless, since it had no effect on my current spell check problems, it is not important right now. Any thought on the missing HunSpell option? Any thoughts on the blank language entry in "Writing aids"?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Hagar,

I see this entry... Oh, oh... Umm how do I insert an image into this damn thing? (-:

Chris.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

cjm51213 wrote:The path SHOULD have been "\\TCLC.org\User\..." but it WAS "C:\Users\...".
Ah, in this case, I think that you're facing the bug mentioned above. Have you checked the link posted by Bill?
Your profile is not on your machine, correct?

To upload a screenshot, see How to attach a document here.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Got it ... (-:
Attachments
Writing aids.png
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It's exactly the bug mentioned above. I see that you're running on the same server solution.
Have you tried to delete the extension folder (as a workaround)?
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Folks,

Bill's observation is pretty good, but there is an important difference. The bug mentioned reports intermittent failures for easily understood reasons -- moving machines. I see non-intermittent failure and I am not moving machines. And I have initialized my profile with the "Nuclear Option", which should have fixed my symptoms if I were struggling with exactly the same thing. However, my symptoms appear to be very similar, so Bill is close; very close...

Hagar, In this case, I am running on the same machine that is hosting both the namespace and the underlying folder, but I am using redirected folders, so it is probable that I will be running on any given machine in the domain, so in the future your observation will be correct, and philosophically, it is correct now; Windows operates as though he doesn't know that the profile is local.

Chris.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Folks,

I tried a surgical approach -- delete the lastsynchronized files. No dice. Then I tired the much stronger approach -- delete the extensions directory. Also no dice... I am still faced with no HunSpell option and NOTHING at all in the Writing aids dialog (as shown above)

This is becoming quite frustrating. This is a brand new installation of Open Office and a relatively new installation of Windows Server 2008r2 and I am running as the administrator for now, since I am doing 100% administrative tasks.

Truly bizarre...

Chris.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've found that one for OOo: Issue 96158 - when using roaming profiles dictionary does not work after reboot and have left a comment.
Strange that removing the local files doesn't work for you.
cjm51213

Post by cjm51213 »

Hi Hagar,

I was excited that there may be a solution, until I noticed that the original post date for that complaint was 2008!!! Anyway,...

So, I will try more cases. We have discussed running ON the Windows Server 2008r2 Domain Controller with Roaming Profiles and Redirected Folders. I wonder what happens when I run on the Windows 7 desktops? As Limited User? As Administrator? I'll find out... Maybe all I have to do is NOT work on the Domain Controller? That would be fine with me since after deployment, this won't happen often. However, there is clearly SOMETHING wrong and I would very much like to know what it is...

Thanks for the help,

Chris.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

cjm51213 wrote:Maybe all I have to do is NOT work on the Domain Controller? That would be fine with me since after deployment, this won't happen often.
I think so.
cjm51213 wrote:However, there is clearly SOMETHING wrong and I would very much like to know what it is...
Indeed, this is clearly a bug. You can add a comment to the bug report or subscribe to it (you need to register) to be notified if devs bother to reply.
I'll tag the topic since there is a bug report.
ndyer1

Re: [Issue] Spellingcheck does not check spelling

Post by ndyer1 »

On a PC Win7 OO 3.4
SpellCheck and Thesuarus functionality disappeared upon installation of 3.4. (this is not a server, no portability, no machine changes)
Went through all your tutorials and steams on this topic: nothing worked.

What development work was done on 3.4 that would jeopardize dictionary function?
Could add-in and extensions interfere with SpellCheck function? (mine were all declared incompatible at the 3.4 install and disappeared)
Instead of shotgunning with nuclear fixes, can we go to the change orders in 3.4 to discover likeliest root cause?
How wide spread is this problem; what percentage of 3.4 upgraders are seeing this?

(Why would 3.4 be released now if it is dependent upon dictionaries not ready until mid July? )
Is the best solution just to back out to OO 3.1 ?

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and cunning,
Norm
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Remove the dictionary extensions. And reinstall the English (US) one.
icnow

Re: '[Solved]' Spellingchecker not working foreign language

Post by icnow »

'[Solved]'

Openoffice.org.doc Apache Spanish or Any Dictionary Spellchecker Question.

Spellingchecker/Dictionary not working foreign language

#1 the straightforward answer:

In the following description I was using Apache OpenOffice 3.4 in Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Personally I believe it should work in whatever version of OpenOffice and whatever version of Windows you have. If the steps are not quite the same in the version you are using I think the route here should be pretty close to the same.

If this works for you please translate this information into whatever language you use so that others can have the benefit and post it to other websites.

(1.)
First you need to set the default language for the dictionary/spellchecker for ALL modules (word, cal, etc.) to whatever language you want as follows. . .

Click on
> Start
> All Programs
> Go to the OpenOffice Area
> OpenOffice.org (this is the manager for all the modules)
> Tools
> Options
> Language Settings
> Languages
> User interface (set this to the basic language you use most.)
> Locale settings (set this to the basic language you use most.)
> Default Languages for documents
> Western (this may be different in different parts of the world)
> (set this to the basic language you use most for your spellchecker.)
> OK

(2.)
Now to change the default dictionary/spellchecker to another in any of the modules (word, cal, etc.) do as follows. . .

First open any module you like i.e. a Word doc and go to
> Tools
> Options
> Language Settings
> Languages
> User interface (set this to a different language you want to spell-check in.)
(Note here: You can keep this one in language that you use most if you like.)
> Locale settings (set this to a different language you want to spell-check in.)
> Default Languages for documents
> Western (this may be different name in different parts of the world)
> (set this to a different language you want to spell-check in.)
> OK

The spellchecker should work find at this point in any language you have chosen.

Is this the end all be all? NOP! How do I know the zillions of scenarios that could come up. I'm just a user like you. But this should give you a good place to start at.

xxxxx

Where my problem was at in the beginning was with (1.) above. . .
It was in the following. . .

In this area
> OpenOffice.org (the manager for all the modules)
> Western (this was set to another language different than all the rest above it.
That was the whole issue.

When I set the (the manager for all the modules) OpenOffice.org ALL OF THEM to the same language and hit OK everything was fix after that.

Hope this does you some good.

#2 HOW I ALMOST WENT BALD:

I was pulling my hair out from not finding the answer, I'm almost bald headed now!!!
I'm in a word document and the English spellchecker is working fine.
Then I want to switch to Spanish/Español spell checker. Mind you the Spanish dictionary IS installed, and all of them at that.

In a word doc I went to . . .
Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages.
I set everything to Spanish > OK = Still no go.

I draggedevery Spanish dictionary from off Openoffice.org into Open Office; still no way.

I couldn't get it to work for nothing. Up until now no blog had my exact answer. I hadn't gone everywhere (obviously). It seemed like every answer was dancing around my issue but never coming to grips with it. At any rate, since I found the answer on my own; just clicking around, I give it to you here. I suppose there´s a blog out there somewhere that has the answer but I couldn't find it.

Hopefully it will help at least one person beat the frustration I was having.

The answer for me anyway was on “#1 the straightforward answer:” above.

Cheers everyone.
Last edited by RoryOF on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected some typos for better clarity.
OpenOffice??? 3.4 Apache
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hmm, rather strange.
Had you tried to reset your user profile (see beginning of the topic)? I use English and French dictionaries and no problem.

Note that the Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages options are application wide, you don't need to do it for each component.
Demolish

Post by Demolish »

I have the same problem as above.
I installed English with US language pack (Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Win_x86_langpack_en-US.exe) over the top of OO 3.1.
I have followed all steps for changing the language, however I cannot get past step 2) because there is no blue tick next to the "Default languages for documents" - "Western" settings. I am choosing "English (US)" or "Defualt - English (US)", neither provide the blue tick as suggested.
OOLanguageSettings1.PNG
I have blown away my user profile settings as suggested, reapplied the language settings still no joy.
I have reinstalled the "American English" dictionary via the extensions manager still no joy.
I have tried reinstalling the application still no joy.
(In all cases ensuring that OO is not running when making fresh changes)

The problem appears to be related to the fact that I do not have any "Available language modules" under the "Writing Aids" configuration settings.
OOLanguageSettings2.PNG
What do I do next to overcome this problem.
I'm close to loosing all my hair too!

Regards
Donald
OpenOffice 3.4
Windows XP SP3
Windows Redirection / Roaming Profiles