[Solved] Files not saving as ".doc" anymore

Discuss the word processor
girlelektra

[Solved] Files not saving as ".doc" anymore

Post by girlelektra »

Hi -

I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic and am currently using Open Office 2.4.

I added some extension packages from the openoffice.org website for Writer and have not been able to save as ".doc" anymore. The document says it is a "File" instead of a 'Microsoft Word Document' in Windows Explorer when I check to see what file type/extension it saved as. I am not getting any errors.

I was running oOo 2.3 and did a full uninstall and reinstall with 2.4. No change. Help?

Thanks,
Rhonda
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Files not saving as ".doc" anymore

Post by floris v »

Have you searched the forum? This is a frequently asked question. The Save as dialog box has an option to save a file with the default extension belonging to the file type: check Automatic file name extension.

If this solves your problem, please edit the first post of this thread (Edit button) and add [Solved] to the subject line.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have the same problem, running on WinXP. I have tried the "save as" solution, and I've checked to make sure my options are set to save as Word 97 document, but it doesn't help. For now, I can use my old, old version of Word as a save workaround.

Thanks for looking into this.
Windows XP SP2
OO.o version 2.4.0
MashaHoll.com
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you confirm the Automatic file name extension option is checked?
Save_as.png
Save_as.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
girlelektra

Post by girlelektra »

Thanks for the response - I have confirmed the Automatic file name extension box is checked. I just did a test on a new document and was able to get it to save as both .odt and .doc file successfully. The problem seems to lie exclusively with certain files I've been working with for a project. However, when I save them to a different location, they save properly.

So apparently the problem lies with resaving documents that I'm updating to a location they've already been saved at - possibly a problem replacing the file that already exists.

At any rate, I'll just save them elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!

Rhonda