[Issue] Number sequence problems with Master-Subdocuments

Discuss the word processor
ByteRyder

[Issue] Number sequence problems with Master-Subdocuments

Post by ByteRyder »

I am working on a book project with a Master Document and the book chapters as Subdocuments. Tables are included as separate subdocuments at the end rather than in the main body of text in each chapter. In the chapter, there is an insertion block, like this:

- - - - - Insert - - - - - -
Table 6.2. Test Usage Patterns
- - - - about here - - -

The table number and title are examples, and the "6" refers to the chapter. Chapter titles are at level 3 in the outline numbering, and numbering is turned on for them. The same template is used for the Master and the Subdocuments. Table numbers are set using the Number Range "Table" field. Now, when I open the subdocument, the Table number appears correctly. However, from the Master document, the Table numbers are sequentially numbered for the entire document (e.g., 1, 2, 3), without the chapter number. Also, when I do a List of Tables, the table numbers are sequential rather than the chapter.table type format.

I've spent a couple of days reading the manual and web postings, experimenting, and not been able to figure this thing out. I really want to use this Writer feature rather than bodger a solution together. Any help?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as issue.
Hagar Delest

Re: Number sequence problems with Master-Subdocuments

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1.
Workaround:
Insert a table and caption it the way you want (in an area of the master document that you can edit).
Other captions from sub-document sections should be updated.
Delete the new table and its caption (you can use the undo button).

At next load, if the fields are not correct, hit F9 to update them.

Note that you have to configure the Heading styles in Tools>Outline Numbering in the master document but I guess you've done that already.

Edit: this is a known issue, you should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 17882 - Table captions not numbered properly when inserted in Master Document.

NB: moved the thread to the general Writer forum, it's not specific to templates.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10