Sharing dictionary files

Discuss the word processor
amurphy96822

Sharing dictionary files

Post by amurphy96822 »

Not sure if this should be a new post or not. I use several different machines, some in WinXP, some in Vista, some in linux (PCLinuxOS). I have been trying to share or transport my standard.dic file (inside wordbook) from one to the other without much success which puzzles me because they should be binary files read the same by the various systems. Perhaps there is something I do not understand. Can I transfer or copy the standard.dic file alone or do I need the whole wordbook. And can I do the same with Autocorr? Of course since there is a path for Autocorr, can I just redirect it (say in Linux) to the right place on my Windows partition. Thanks
Hagar Delest

Re: Sharing dictionary files

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, you should have created a new thread because the one where you've posted was solved, so few users would have checked it and it may be a different issue. So I've split the thread.

A problem might be the encoding of the files. Perhaps it's different between the Windows version and the Linux one.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
amurphy96822

Post by amurphy96822 »

Thanks I have wondered, I know that linux cannot write to ntsf files but can read them; so, if I remember right, I first copied the ntsf file to my fat32 partition and from there to linux, but perhaps I should have only made a symbolic link. Not quite sure how to do that.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You're right about write access on ntsf file system but I was talking about the characters encoding (like UTF-8). There are some threads dealing with strange differences for custom dictionaries, like that one: Thesaurus with åäö not working.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10