Writer made all the text to a bunch of this #

Discuss the word processor
smg_07

Writer made all the text to a bunch of this #

Post by smg_07 »

hello

so my sister has been using writer to write a story and while she was writing she putted the laptop to sleep and then when she checked again all the text was like this ########## . no spaces no nothing all the text was in hash

this is a pic of how its looking :ucrazy:
tPkHP.png
(btw the white square that says default was something else and i changed it in an effort to see if it would work,it didn't nothing happened)

the file is still writable and i can still type normally but there is this thick black line that appears when i press Enter
JSzHh.png
this is also really weird . what i did here is that i opened the file .. selected one of the hash letters and pressed enter , and now everything is gone and now i have this black line which i don't know where it came from and now this # that i selected is undeletable , but i can still do CTRL+Z to go back
is there a was that the file could be saved ? its a story and it would mean a lot to her to be able to restore the part that she wrote at that time :|
openoffice 3.2.0 on windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Writer made all the text to a bunch of this #

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, you're not alone, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check also the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

NB: it seems that 3.3 is much less impacted.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10