Character style, background colour, find-replace function

Discuss the word processor
ricaz

Character style, background colour, find-replace function

Post by ricaz »

I have a series of questions concerning styles, search function and character formats..

1) I created a “character style” I call “link”, which implies a bold, single underline, background color magenta 6 [RGB(107,35,148)]; the background colour issue is what matters in my case.

2) the “find and replace” function does not recognize the presence of “character styles” in the document.. it just works with “paragraph styles”, doesn't it?
Question: Is there any way to force it to work with “character styles” as well?

3) the “find and replace” function can find “highlighted texts” in two ways: you either select the precise highlight colour you want to find in the “format” field, or you select to look for the attribute “character background”, which makes the find function look for every “highlighted” section of the text.
Both ways identify only “highlighted” text; no result is given for those paragraphs whose colour is changed with the “background colour” button.

Just to make things clearer: when I write “highlight”, I mean texts which are highlighted using the highlighting function; on the other hand, the colour of the background can be changed with the “background colour” button, which appears on the left of the highlight button in the “formatting toolbar”. The “background colour” button is something different from the “character background” which can be found amongst the attribute list in the “find and replace” window.

When I apply to some text the “character style” I created, the background colour changes to magenta 6, as set in the style itself. However, the search function does not find it at all. Therefore I assume that the “character style” changes the background colour as the “background colour” button does, and not as if it was an highlight.

Question: is there any way to create a character style which forces an highlight effect, instead of a “character background” one?

Question: is there any way to convert a “background coloured” section into an highlighted section?

4) I have a writer odt file in which many paragraphs are introduced by a couple of words which I hyperlinked to other files. The hyperlink includes just a few words in the beginning of the paragraph, not all of it.
I highlighted some words in the paragraphs which have an hyperlink at the beginning.
However, I now want to remove the hyperlinks: if I do it with right clicking on the hyperlinked text, and selecting “remove hyperlink”, all the highlight in the whole paragraph is removed. No change to the text, just to the highlight (i.e., the words which were highlighted are not deleted; just the highlight itself disappears)
Question: is this normal?

I am afraid that my questions are not so clear; I find difficult to explain what my problem is... sorry about that!

Thanks for your attention.

Riccardo
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows Vista
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: Charachter style, background colour,find-replace functio

Post by Robert Tucker »

Maybe this provides part of the answer:
Writer doesn't have highlighting... the highlighting tool just applies a character-level background color.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =7&t=11945
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The "Highlighting" button changes the background color attribute of selected characters. The "Background Color" button changes the background color attribute of selected paragraphs. That's the only difference. One can't be "converted" to the other.

To make Find & Replace search for formatting applied with a character style, you need to check the box "Including Styles" on the Find & Replace window.
ricaz

Post by ricaz »

Thanks for your replies...
Bill's indications worked to do what I think I wanted to do.... I cannot remember myself what my original problem was...
there is one thing which is left unanswered: is there any way to "find" the hyperlinks in a word document?

I need it because I would like to be able to select all of them and change the hightlight colour to make them more visible in my odt files...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You don't need to "find" them all. If you change the master style Character Styles : Internet link (from memory) they will all change to reflect your alterations.

If in doubt read up on Styles in Help file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

In the future please post multiple individual topics for multiple questions.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
ricaz

Re: Character style, background colour, find-replace functio

Post by ricaz »

Anyway, is there a way to "find" with the "find and replace" function the hyperlinks? I normally do it with the navigator, but sometimes a "find and replace" would be quicker...