[Solved] Print both side of the page

Discuss the word processor
m1ewi5

[Solved] Print both side of the page

Post by m1ewi5 »

My HP 1320 laserjet allows printing on both side of the sheet. But the OpenOffice Writer print dialog windows offer no option for specifying "print on both sides of the sheet." How do you do this?

thanks, Michael
Last edited by m1ewi5 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0
OOO330m20 (Build:9567)
Mac OSX 10.6.7
RoryOF

Re: Print both side of the page

Post by RoryOF »

That setting is made in the Printer Properties. All you need do in / File / Print window is press the Properties button beside the Printer name and select Duplex or Double sided printing. OpenOffice will send a stream of pages to the printer, which will print 1/2, 3/4 etc. You can also set the installed Printer at system level always to print Duplex.
 Edit: Aha! I see you are using a Mac; as far as I remember, Mac printing under OpenOffice uses different window layout, but the principle should be the same - you need to tell the printer to print duplex/double sided, and this is done in a low level printer properties setting, near where you change print quality and paper size/type. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
m1ewi5

Post by m1ewi5 »

Thanks for the reply. Yep, it's a Mac. OO has no properties button in its print window. I did find out how to set up a custom "print both sides" option in the print window on the Mac side, but, as far as I can tell, there is no "low level printer properties setting, near where you change print quality and paper size/type" setting like this in OpenOffice. I looked in OO help, but "printer properties" there doesn't address this issue. I use a (Parallels) Windows emulator on the Mac. Maybe I'll install Windows OpenOffice and see if I can make what you suggest work. Thanks again. . . .
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0
Mac OSX 10.6.7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This thread
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=40248
is about Mac printer settings, so may help point you in the right direction.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
m1ewi5

Post by m1ewi5 »

Thanks again--there was nothing specific in the thread, but I didn't even know there was a place that deals with OSX issues, so I submitted my question as a new entry there. Something will come of this, I'm sure.

Michael
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0
Mac OSX 10.6.7
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I did find out how to set up a custom "print both sides" option in the print window on the Mac side,

Choose that setting in the print dialogue when you print.
as far as I can tell, there is no "low level printer properties setting, near where you change print quality and paper size/type" setting like this in OpenOffice.
You change print quality, duplex printing, etc. in the print dialogue when you print.

Here are a couple screenshots. The screenshot I posted in the thread you were given a link to should have pointed you i the right direction. You should have something similar for your printer.
Print Dialogue duplex.jpg
Print Dialogue duplex 2.jpg
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
m1ewi5

Post by m1ewi5 »

Thanks for sticking with this. The print window in your screenshots look like what I get when I print from TextEdit on the oSX side. When I'm in OpenOffice, the print window is:

Sorry - I have a screenshot, but I don't know how to copy it to this window. I'll figure it out & do this again. . . .
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0
Mac OSX 10.6.7
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

The print window in your screenshots look like what I get when I print from TextEdit on the oSX side. When I'm in OpenOffice, the print window is:
You probably are using the OOo print dialogue instead of the native Mac print dialogue.

Go to "OpenOffice.org>Preferences>OpenOffice.org>General".
Under "Print dialogue boxes" uncheck "Use OpenOffice.org dialogue boxes".

The OOo print dialogue does not allow access to the printer settings. This option should be removed from the Mac version of OOo.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
m1ewi5

Post by m1ewi5 »

Thanks--unchecking "Use OpenOffice.org dialogue boxes" in "OpenOffice.org>Preferences>OpenOffice.org>General" did it. I wonder how many years it would have taken me to find it on my own. . . .
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0
Mac OSX 10.6.7
frispoli

Re: [Solved] Print both side of the page

Post by frispoli »

Hi!

In my case I had to keep using the Mac OSX dialogs and had to activate "duplexer" on the printer configuration dialog accessed through the "System Preferences".

Regards.

Fabio
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on MacOS 10.9.2