[Solved] OOo Crashes when .doc opened since installed IE9

Discuss the word processor
hltham2

[Solved] OOo Crashes when .doc opened since installed IE9

Post by hltham2 »

I recently installed IE9. Since then, whenever I opened a Word (.doc) file, I am only able to view the document for about 30 seconds before it "hanged" and then crashes. I tried multiple ways to open the Words file - clicking the file from desktop, opening via the main menu of OOO; etc - same thing happened. However, when I opened the file WITHOUT IE9 running, it works normally.

Any conflict between OOO 3.3 vs IE9?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOO 3.3, Windows Vista Home Premium
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: OOo Crashes when Words doc opened since installed IE9

Post by r4zoli »

I updated my IE to IE9 in last week under win7 home no such probelm with OOo 3.3. Now I opened ten doc file with various size (1-70 pages) and it is still open after ten minute, without running IE 9.

Started IE9 opened another three doc file, ten others keep open, no OOo crash after two minute.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be worth deleting your User Profile (See Tutorials on main Forum page) and reinstalling OpenOffice. The reinstall does not generate a fresh profile, so you should do that separately.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dh37

Post by dh37 »

I'm having the same problem.

I updated from IE 8 to IE 9. Shortly thereafter, OO 3.3 began crashing all the time ("not responding," etc).

I deleted the user profile per the instructions here, and then reinstalled it. Now things are actually worse---I set up the new profile using the wizard that comes up, and I can't do anything else. Any time I try opening OO, that same wizard comes up.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This looks like a rights problem; I don't know enough about the rights in Vista to help.
dh37

Post by dh37 »

RoryOF wrote:This looks like a rights problem; I don't know enough about the rights in Vista to help.
Why would it be a rights problem? I would assume that the admin rights dialogue would start up if there was a rights issue.

I reinstalled the entire suite from scratch after deleting my profile. Doesn't work. IMHO that's a major problem for the software's track record.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If it had been a major problem with OOo, the forum would be over-flooded with such requests...

There is certainly something happening on your system, like a security application or fine rights management (Windows is very poor for that). Have you tried to right click OOo and run it as administrator?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
regi.bradley

Post by regi.bradley »

I was having the same problem. OpenOffice 3.3 would crash after about 30 seconds. This also seems to have coincided with the upgrade from IE 8 to IE 9. I uninstalled IE9 and the problem disappeared. I re-installed IE9 and everything seems to be working fine now.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 Professional
dh37

Post by dh37 »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:If it had been a major problem with OOo, the forum would be over-flooded with such requests...
That's true. OTOH I uninstalled it and tried installing the corresponding version of LibreOffice, and it works fine.
hltham2

Post by hltham2 »

Just to update, OOo also crashes (about 30secs to 1min) when ever I opened other files like powerpoint and excel sheet. So I guess it is not confined to words. I do not know if this issue is also related - but I am unable to check for updates too because the following description appears:
"The host name update36.services.openoffice.org could not be resolved."

Thanks for your time and hope to hear good news from your team!:-)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to uninstall IE9 and reinstall as mentioned above?

For the automatic update, just switch off that feature, it has never really worked in fact.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
regi.bradley

Post by regi.bradley »

Well, I thought that reinstalling IE9 did the trick but the problem has now returned. I am also seeing the problem across the entire suite of OpenOffice products. Running the program as administrator seems to fix the issue for me, but this is certainly a new issue and didn't use to be the case. I guess I will roll back to IE8 for now. Any other suggestions or insights into this problem?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 Professional
hltham2

Post by hltham2 »

I reverted back to IE8 and the entire OOo suite works well. I suppose there is a conflict between Ooo 3.3 and IE9. Would appreciate it if you guys can look into this issue and hopefully the 3.4 final version will not have this glitch with IE9.

Looking forward to the good news! Good luck!
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

It would not surprise me if MS did it just to cause problems. It would not be the first time.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
swingkyd

Post by swingkyd »

dh37 wrote:I'm having the same problem.

I updated from IE 8 to IE 9. Shortly thereafter, OO 3.3 began crashing all the time ("not responding," etc).

I deleted the user profile per the instructions here, and then reinstalled it. Now things are actually worse---I set up the new profile using the wizard that comes up, and I can't do anything else. Any time I try opening OO, that same wizard comes up.
a colleague of mine had the same problem. downgrading IE9 was the solution... We have no idea what the problem might be. What does IE9 have to do with OOo?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

swingkyd wrote:<snip> What does IE9 have to do with OOo?
No one knows! Perhaps there is some new background task that interferes with OOo. IE9 doesn't always cause problems with OOo. From memory several volunteers on this forum report that they have it running with no OOo problems.
philsomers

Post by philsomers »

I've been having the same problem since installing IE9 but it's intermittent. This morning was bad and spreadsheets were crashing within a minute of opening. Then I switched user to my wife's user and closed IE (I don't use IE myself) and since then OOo has worked fine. Not sure what it proves (if anything) but I thought somebody might be able to make sense of it.
Phil OOo 3.3 on Vista
kushalchaudhuri

Post by kushalchaudhuri »

I have personally tested this situation. IE 9 initially installed and co-existed side by side with OOo 3.3.0 like a charm. I noticed, it did download an update from the MS site which then started creating problems with OOo 3.3.0, writer crashes, calc freezes etc. etc. I then uninstalled IE 9, reinstalled it, and kept the Automatic updates of Windows to 'Never check for updates'. This time everything seems to be working fine.

For testing purpose I have used : a) IE 9 on Win 7 64 bit b) OOo 3.3.0 on Win 7 c) Your Uninstaller (To remove traces of IE 9 registry entries)

I guess you might give it a try keeping the Windows Update off, Good Luck !
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Win 7
aqualung
Volunteer

Post by aqualung »

Since the Preview Beta came out in September last year, IE9 has been installed on my system and it coexists just fine with my OOo 3.3. However, my IE9 is hardly ever open (prefer Firefox for browsing and sometimes Google Chrome).

Turning off Windows Updates is a bad idea. Keeping your system fully updated and patched is a very important precaution against malware, equally as important as having an anti-virus software running.
OOo 3.3.0, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, planning to add LibreOffice after a bug-fix version of 3.4 is released.
Has your question been answered? Please go back to the message at the top of the thread and mark it as [SOLVED].
leontb

Post by leontb »

I had the same problem: Crash of OO 3.3 after installing IE 9 and some other MS updates.
I uninstalled OO 3.3 and installed it again. Now everything works fine.
Open Office 3.3 on Windows 7 64 bit
leontb

Post by leontb »

My previous answer was premature: the problems appeared again. I tried every suggested solution on the web including the changes in the usermap. The only thing that really works is: uninstalling IE9, back to IE8. Now OO works definitively fine again.
Open Office 3.3 on Windows 7 64 bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It might be worth following Hitham2's remark in an earlier posting that OpenOffice could not find its update service. Try turning off OpenOffice's automatic check for updates / Tools / Options : OpenOffice.org : On-line Update.
fullmooncoho

Post by fullmooncoho »

hltham2 wrote:I reverted back to IE8 and the entire OOo suite works well. I suppose there is a conflict between Ooo 3.3 and IE9. Would appreciate it if you guys can look into this issue and hopefully the 3.4 final version will not have this glitch with IE9.

Looking forward to the good news! Good luck!

This fix also worked for me. Thanks all for the info!
OpenOffice 3.3 and Windows 7 64bit SP1
concretecandy

Re: [Solved] OOo Crashes when .doc opened since installed IE

Post by concretecandy »

Just my two cents, but turning off OpenOffice's Automatic check for update (as RoryOF suggested above) solved the problem for me. Thank you.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windows Vista
bacillusx

Post by bacillusx »

Had the same problem. Uninstalled IE9. Problem Solved!
OpenOffice 3.3 Windows 7
Unity

Post by Unity »

I was in the exact same situation. I've used Open Office for years with not even one issue. Soon after installing IE9, I started getting random, "Not Responding" errors and crashes in Open Office. I tried updating OOo to the latest version, uninstalling and reinstalling, turning off the auto-update feature, and resetting the user profile. None of it changed anything. The whole time, I strongly suspected it was IE9 causing the problems.

I came here, read this thread, uninstalled IE9, and IT FIXED THE PROBLEMS! Thank you! I've run several tests in which I would have gotten errors while IE9 was there, and haven't gotten a single error! It seems that OOo is back to its normal complete stability!

Hint: start typing, "uninstall" in Google, and the first thing that comes up in the autocomplete is, "Uninstall IE9."

My wife works in IT at a major company. She told me not to install IE9 about a month after it came out. She said it was causing all kinds of errors for the users. This long after the release, I thought it would be safe. Isn't it strange that MS IE9 would cause other programs to crash, namely open source programs that compete with MS? I'm pretty sure that MS isn't going to fix the issue, even though it's obviously on their end. I hope the OOo community can fix it. I bet there are a LOT of people having this problem who have no idea it was IE9 causing it.

It feels so good to have my Open Office back to perfect running condition!! :D
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Turning off the auto updater also cures this issue see http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ate#p52024
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
pierrejasmin

Post by pierrejasmin »

Same here (OO gets into some sort of loop after less then a minute when I open a document - not a new one)
Except...
Installed OO3.3 on a windows 7 with IE 8 and that has the same issue.
I thought I had the same problem except apparently not, perhaps my issue is with document saved after IE got autoupdated to 9?
I say that also as I don't seem to have that issue with a fresh document.
***: Saving the odt file as doc fixed my document issue (a very large file)

Also:
OO updater does not seem on (3.3.0) for me and if I actually press Update in UI (windows) it says:
"
Could not establish network connection to update36.services.openoffice.org
"
OpenOffice on 3.1 windows vista and linux
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

If you are seeing this error message "Could not establish network connection to update36.services.openoffice.org" then you have the check for updates on. Turn off the feature by unchecking the appropriate box.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
pierrejasmin

Post by pierrejasmin »

Not true, this happens when I explicitely select Help | Check for Updates

Pierre
OpenOffice on 3.1 windows vista and linux