[Issue] 3.3.0 - "Read-only" when saved in .doc + password

Discuss the word processor
MelloSOF

[Issue] 3.3.0 - "Read-only" when saved in .doc + password

Post by MelloSOF »

Hello, I just upgraded to 3.3.0 and it automatically changed my OpenOffice Writer documents to "Read-only". I have no idea why. These documents are password protected and saved as "Microsoft Word 97-2003 Document". I tried copying and pasting all of the text into a new document. That worked fine, but as soon as I save it, close it, then re-open it, it's read-only. Help please! Thank you!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP Pro
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: 3.3.0 - "Read-only" problem

Post by Villeroy »

Open a file.
Call menu:File>Properties...
What is the document path indicated on the first tab?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MelloSOF

Post by MelloSOF »

it's a ".doc"

Is that what you are asking about?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The attachment read-only.png is no longer available
Attachments
Read-only document with location in temporary document and edit button on standard toolbar.
Read-only document with location in temporary document and edit button on standard toolbar.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
MelloSOF

Post by MelloSOF »

Ahh, sorry. It's on my E:/ drive, which is one of the partitions on my hard drive. Why does this matter?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It matters if you can write to that drive or not. Obvious when E: is a CD-ROM.
Browsers and mail programs store downloads and attachments as write protected copies in temporary folders where they get lost on reboot. In this case you simply save your editable copy somewhere else or you tell the browser/mail app to store the file in your personal folder.

OpenOffice.org does not open any file in read-only mode unless the file is write-protected or unless you open the file in a special way (soffice.exe -view myFile.odt).

How did the file get onto the drive?
In the file manager (Windows Explorer) go to the the E: drive, right-click your file, get the properties and find out what protects the file (read-only flag? file permissions?)?
Can you create a copy of any file on that drive?
Can any other program write any file onto that drive?
What happens when you hit OOo's edit button which is button #5 on the standard tool bar?

I recall some crude Windows option which protects a drive's root directory (C: at least).
MelloSOF

Post by MelloSOF »

E:/ is a partition off of my C:/ drive.

The file was created within the E:/ drive several months ago. It started out as an Open Office file, in Win XP .doc format, password protected. I've been editing the .doc file for several months now. Then when I upgraded OO just a few days ago and open the file, hit the edit button and try to edit text, I get a pop-up message saying, "Readonly content cannot be changed, No modifications will be accepted." I tried copying the text into a new document, then saving it as an ".odt" extension, password protected. But as soon as I save the file and re-open it, it is stuck as read-only.

Even if I right click on the un-opened file in it's folder, the attributes where it shows "read-only" is NOT checked. I just noticed that for some reason the folder this file is in is set to "read-only" in the attributes. I tried un checking the box and saving, but when I go back into the folder properties it shows the folder is read-only again! Frustrating. Does this setting make any difference?

I can create a copy of any file on this drive, yes.
Yes any other program can write any file onto this drive.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I can not help. This type of problem occurs under Windows only. I can not reproduce it and I do not understand Windows file permissions, if and how the attributes of a folder affect the files therein.
MelloSOF

Post by MelloSOF »

No problem, I appreciate your help and input thus far!
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Maybe this MS article will help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open the office document with another program, for instance your favourite zip tool. Is it a read-only archive?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

MelloSOF wrote:Even if I right click on the un-opened file in it's folder, the attributes where it shows "read-only" is NOT checked. I just noticed that for some reason the folder this file is in is set to "read-only" in the attributes. I tried un checking the box and saving, but when I go back into the folder properties it shows the folder is read-only again! Frustrating. Does this setting make any difference?
"Changing" the setting on the folder properties dialog changes the attribute of the files in the folder, not the folder. The read only attribute of the folder can't be set or unset using Windows Explorer, and Windows usually ignores the attribute. It's probably not causing the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you move an OpenOffice file from E: to C:? Can you then open and edit it?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's a bug affecting documents saved in DOC format:

WW8: simple password-to-open-protected doc opens in read-only mode (113621)
CMP01

Re: [Issue] 3.3.0 - "Read-only" when saved in .doc + passwor

Post by CMP01 »

I am having the same problem on Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6. The Writer file is stored as a .doc on C drive and is simple password protected. I have toggled the Edit button and removed it; I have checked properties from Explorer and from within the open file itself and it has no read-only settings visible anywhere.
This is making OO unusable. I cannot edit and update important files. A fix is URGENT!! :crazy:
Open Office 3.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The fix is simple - do not Password protect your file!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you really have to, save it in a zip file that is passworded.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

A little late on the thread but a workable answer for anybody interested. I had the same problem and it's incredibly frustrating but try this:

Create a new document, copy and paste the data, then save using password protection like u did for the original (Save under a new name). Now continue working on the document or just add some dummy text. Save again.. and you should be able to open and edit your password protected document from now on.

Please note, I'm working in Snow Leopard on a Mac so don't know if this applies to Windows yet.
Open Office 3.2.0; MBP 15" Snow Leopard/Win 7 Dual Boot
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

Still no solution to this I guess? :(
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

doug0909 wrote:Still no solution to this I guess? :(
There is a solution for the read-only flag on the file which is a Windows problem actually.
There is the edit button.
There is the option to save a file copy.
There is no problem with password protected documents. It simply works as intended and you can not make it writable without knowing the password. Of course you can copy and paste into a new document.
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

The Edit Button Does NOT work. It looks like it's going to let me edit, then it says "read only content cannot be changed. No modifications will be accepted." I don't know what you mean by the option to save a file copy. Even copying and pasting into a new document did not work for me; it stayed read only.
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

When I make a copy of the file - within windows explorer or within open office - the copy is read only as well. When I cut and paste into a new document it is read only. Perhaps this is because I am retaining passwords in all my files. However, I have to do that, the files are private. If the "solutions" only work when the password is removed, this has not been "solved" at all...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

So what is the meaning of a password when you can get around it?
How about the copy&paste into a new document?
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

[quote="Villeroy"]So what is the meaning of a password when you can get around it?

I'm not sure what you mean by that; I have heard that there is a workaround for Word passwords; is there also one for openoffice passwords? Are they the same thing?

Regardless, though, having password protection still makes it very difficult for people with short term access to your private files to look at them, like if you walk away from your computer...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Install OOo 2.4.3. It ignores write-protection passwords. Of course, hundreds of users complained about this at that time.
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

OK thanks I might just do that... it'd be nice if this were fixed so I didn't have to use a dated version of OO though...

So I'm curious is encryption done through OO as easy to break as encryption done through Word?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It has been fixed to support write protection passwords. It is a new feature you don't like. There won't be any fix which removes the new feature. Simply do not use it and don't complain when others do. Version 2.x ignores the write protection password. You can have version 2.x and 3.x installed as separate applications side by side.
File encryption for the file open password is strong. Your document will be lost when you forgot your sophisticated password.
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

I don't understand what you are saying about the problem, but it seems to me there could be a fix to remove the write protection somehow and get around this problem.

About the password protection - so if I create a document in OO, and save it as a word 97-2003 .doc file with password protection, you are saying that the password protection will be stronger than if I did the same thing in Word 2003? If I then open the file in Word 2003 (or some editing program on my mobile device), edit it, and resave it, will OO's strong password protection be lost and will it revert to Word's weak password protection?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I only use ODF documents. They are encrypted by a file-open password.
doug0909

Post by doug0909 »

Oh... so if I want strong password protection I have to save word processing files as .odt anyway? If so, that kills the whole cross-compatibility thing anyway :(